What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trap looks inside out

• Thread starter Gage75
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
G

Gage75

I recently purchased the 3 pack of VFT's off of here about 6 weeks ago and all seem to be doing well.  A few of my Red Dragon VFT traps seem to be opening so wide that they appear inside out.  Is this normal?  These traps don't close when the hairs are triggered either.  Any ideas?

Happens to me somtimes....might be dormancy since it is that time of year.....

I think it's because the traps are getting old, and instead of dying, the traps flatten out to capture more sunlight and turn into a leaf kind of. That's tottaly fine and is just part of the cycle of vft leaves.

Yep, I agree with peter.  I recently bought some vfts from a store near me and they had some of those types of leaves on them.  Basically the trap becomes a regular leaf like other plants have.

-buckeye

I believe as the leaf ages, the cell pressure changes so that the leaf flattens out. I doubt it is an evolutionary trait to capture more sunlight, more as a result of the difference in pressure in the cells and some of the cells 'breaking down' as they age. This happens on a good proportion of my traps right before they shrivel up and die.

Heh, one time tho I thought a leaf was dying because of this outward appearance, so I played with the trigger hairs not expecting anything, it closed so fast it made me jump!

Peter is right traps get old! and only a trap and chach! 3 times before they die its very normal you have nothing to worry about happy growing ;)

Yes EC is correct. This happens to any and all traps. It's totally normal.

Back