What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much is too much light?

After ridding my VFT of all her pests for the moment, as a treat I decided to upgrade her lighting to two 13W compact flourescents, in total she's getting 1600 lumens at 6500 k's, around 2 inches above her.

The traps are growing ok, and very fast, but I've noticed the color inside the traps is going beyond the normal red into a dark red, purplish color...Is this normal ?

Thanks !  
smile.gif

The color inside a trap varies.  Amount of light can help color a trap but genetics figures into it also.  Some VFTS won't get beyond a blush of pink no matter how much light you give it.  And some cultivars have been bred for dark red coloration specifically.  All my VFTs are growing under the same conditions and the trap color varies widely.

The amount of pink/red/maroon/purple color doesn't have anything to do with being unhealthy, so the fact that its dark isn't a worry.  
smile.gif

Suzanne

I have mine set on 17 hour daily basis.

Back