What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moths, Spiders, and misc. insects......

Hey guys, I just got my VFT yesturday and I'm wondering if I can find it some moths, spiders, and other bugs to feed it. Is it alright (on the off chance) to feed it bugs (moths mainly) that have been zapped by my bug zapper, that is, if they're not totally fried.
biggrin.gif
Also, if there's a lack in how many bugs i"m able to find for it, will it
damage the VFT? It's coming to winter and I was wondering about the specifications on hybernating the VFT (i heard about a fridge method). Thanks so much guys, I'm such a newbi.

Hi Solidcell...  Welcome to the forum
smile.gif
First thing you should do is read the FAQ pages on VFT cultivation... HERE

Secondly, VFTs do not need to be fed at all. They produce food through photosynthesis just like any other plant. Bugs are merely a nutritional supplament. You will find that VFTs are quite adept at catching bugs all on their own so you wont really need to hand feed them.

Finally, how you  handle dormancy depends greatly on where you live. If your natural conditions are similar to the VFTs natural growing conditions you can leave them outside 24/7 and they will do all the dormancy stuff all on their own. More info will help us help you better.

Good luck
Steve

I live in Southern California, thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate your help.

You will probably be fine leaving your plant outside full time. Find a place that gets at least 8 hours of full sun and they should thrive there. Dormancy will take care of itself. Just cut back on the ammount of water you give it when it is dormant.

Good luck
Steve

Yeah I know its impossible to risk the urge to feed your VFTs some times.

Things to keep in mind, bugs need to be small, about 1/3rd the size of the trap is ideal. Think of bugs it would naturally catch. I don't think moths are a good choice, as in I believe it is best if the entire bug is inside and no wings/legs sticking out. If they stick out, the plant can't make an air tight seal and bacteria get in and kill the trap (not always, but fairly common).

Also try to pick bugs that won't eat the plant.

Good luck.

Vft's enjoy soft body bugs and like what jhaluska said. I always keep one trap feeding just the pure fact I love seeing bugs die. It is absolutely priceless!!!
blues.gif
cool.gif
smile.gif
My thought if one trap dies because the bug is to big many more will replace it. You will discover what works for you and what does not (I found out that ladybugs do not work at all for me).  Some people do not feed there plants and some (me) can not feed them enough.

Image is nothing! Fun is everything!
Travis

ps
Moths I never really cared to use...

yah , feeding is really not nescessary . but from your question i will say yes , you can feed it those things but be careful . i;ve fed those annoying nig moths that flutter and night and everythings seems ok . i've fed fat black widows with the legs sticking out and the plant is ok . www.sarracenia.com is a really good website to learn more or look at my care sheet in my signature .

Solidcell, if it was me, in your weather conditions, I would just put my plant outside and leave it alone. Keep the water trays filled between 1/2 and 1 inch (let the trays sit dry for 2-3 days between fillings and only fill to less than 1/2 inch while dormant) and let the plant handle the rest for itself. It will catch what it wants when it wants (most likely the traps will all be full all summer long). It will go dormant when its ready and wake up when its ready. Being in Cali you are blessed with GREAT cp weather. It seems a shame to waste it by fooling around with it. Acclimate it over a couple weeks to its outdoor conditions and all should be well  
smile.gif

Good luck
Steve

Back