What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Making Sure,,,

I just got a VFT yesterday, just the pot and plant. After reading the tip sheets and links, I figured I'd up the humidity and moisture for it. Is it ok if I purchased the empty round terrarium from this site to contain my small pot of VFT. Then, filling the bottom of the terrarium with a low level of water?

wow.gif

Yes, that would be perfectly fine. In fact, you could plant it in the terrarium, and cover the top somehow, and that would be even better. The only problem with water in the bottom of the terrarium is that you might grow algae and other wierd flora.

SF

Oh ok
smile.gif

Does algae and such become a threat to the plant?

I just want the best condition for my plant and since a water tray keeps the soil moist at all times and is considered the best condition for the plant, I thought I could just fill the terrarium's bottom with water.

Hmmmm... well I got a terrarium and I cover the top, yet opening it once a day for air circulation.  So far the water looks fine but I'm mainly concerned that it's not receiving any bugs to eat as I read that it's good to feed a couple of bugs per month..

I don't think it's necessary to close the top of those terrariums to grow a vft. It will be more humid in there even with the top open. This weekend I saw a guy's Nepenthes hamata that he's growing in a large glass bowl with a large open top just sitting in a windowsill. It was amazing. Plus, covering it reduces circulation and allows for fungus and such to grow.

If I were you, I'd just put the pot into the terrarium, let it sit in a half inch of water. Add more water when there is no more standing water in the bottom of the terrarium.

Max

i dont think you have to worry about the humidity. humidity is in the fly traps enviroment but it still could live just as good without it all i did over the summer was get a plate and put the plant on it i filled it with water about an inch and thats all. it was in a 10 gallon terrarium with my cactus and everything is fine

Hi Maive

Welcome to the forums!
biggrin.gif

I too suggest not to cover the terrarium. They really like air circulation and don't have the high humidity requirements some CPs do.

Good luck with your plant. Maybe there are more CPs in your future.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Thanks for the replies! I removed the covers
wow.gif

Hello, I have 4 Venus flytrap's bought all in 3 inch pots from a nerserys web page, First time i have grown them, i had a 5'th one it didnt make it i had a problem with grey mold.the 5th vft was bought on ebay from a personal grower it was a cutting from a 20 year old plant, it was in peat moss looked to be shreded dark brow in color and i kept it wattered in a try rised up on pebbles of perenalite about 1,4th inch of the watter touched the plants pot sides. i let watter evaporate more when i noticed the grey mold and i tryed to increase airflow by putting it a little closer to the fan in my room but not directly in the fans path the room temp here is normaly around 70-75f. there on a tall 5' tall dresser under a grow light in watter dishes with small slear plastic semmi covers with no lid to allow ventalation. i tryed everything i could to save it before it died i read every post i could in desperation to save it. i was using a 35 wat florecent light im still using it for my remaining 4. and my soil is slightly green not much live moss on the surface but a few small sprouts of some kind of moss possibly the moss its growing in but alive. i was told i should switch to 50 spagnum ( a long stringy live version of peat moss if i understand right but im not sure?) and washed sand (not sure specific name will get it on post asap) should i do this or continue growing them in the soil they arived in. none show signs of dormancy accept maybe the other one that died an im sure its dead not dormant as its a pile of moosh with partaly dizolved bulb. i Purchased several items from Petflytrap.com Exotic gardens web page including Tropicare humidity system,2 bags of soil, a 3.5 gallon terarium, a box of Cleary fungicide,and Mini Moisture tester,also *shamfully* 2 bare rute venus flytraps i did read they were more dificult than a growing vft god forgive me. i also plan on buying a reverse osmosis unit for the plants watter when i have enough to pay for it., im curently using bottled spring watter with 0 sodium an no minerals according to the watters facts listing I tryed distilled rain watter but the watter here even after distinging has a funny smell and im to nervious to use it so i tossed it an using botled watter. anything eles i should buy? and any tips or help i would welcome,my final question is in some posts i have seen plants living in verry wet conditions and others much more so dry in comparison how do i tell what mine live best in and does any one have verry hardy vft's for trade.Thanks for reading any replys welcome
-steve C.t.

The more light the better, if you don't have lots of light don't keep the soil as wet/humidity as high or you'll get fungi problems. Your plant was probubly infected with the mold when you got it so don't worry about that one. Skip dormencey this year and start with it next year. Plants don't need to eat bugs so don't worry if it doesn't get many. I would not transplant a happy plant unless apsolutly nessesary. Why risk it? I hope that covers things for you, it sounds like you are already well read on the subject ;)

Steve,
On the off chance you haven't read this topic yet I am posting a link to it so that you will know what your getting into before it's too late.  Though it sounds like you are well past the point of no return already judging by the list of stuff you got to grow your VFT's.

Here's the link:  CP addiction topic

Welcome to the forums!

laugh.gif

BCK

Back