What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reviving those half dead vfts

i was just wondering , there have been alot of people rescueing hald dead flytraps and flytraps near death but has anybody had success stories . so far i am trying to revive this vft that i brought at my local nursery yesterday . it was kept in a small plastic cylinder terrarium in dark shade . it was one from the nurseryman's exchnge compnay with colorful pics and letter to attract a kid to buy a plant just like a vft attractings its prey
tounge.gif
. it got store credit from my old rescues so i used it to buy this vft since i have a thepry that plants from different companies have different gentic traits and appearance . the poor lil fella was a bit dry with lots of small dead leves and weak spindly ones that could easily be pulled off . i watered it , gave it some superthrive , some sun and plenty of TLC
biggrin.gif
. the only horribly thing that happened to it today was that it seems has some bird is stealing half of the plants in the pot , the leaves are getting more easily pulled out , cold weather and i accidently knocked the pot down the ground becausemy stupid brother dared me to balance a stick on my finger
mad.gif
. wish me luck as i wish luck for the plants your trying to save
smile.gif

Yep, I rescued a almost dead little dente from meijers last fall. Half of the plant died, but know it's growing quite well.

i have brought back a flytrap from lowes
smile.gif

I also revived 2 VFT's and 2 sundews that was near death...like..brown, and dried out soil. they still look poor, but they are growing, producing leaves/traps.

Rescue is fairly easy here in swampy Central Florida. Put them outside for sun. Make sure they get plenty of rainwater. Sometimes they even catch stuff when they are outside. For spectacular famous carnivores, they sure aren't very good at it. One big ventrata pitcher will take out more bugs than all my VFTs have, combined, by a WIDE margin.

I'm trying to avoid dormancy and just let them grow as long as possible. Split off the little clone plants, whatever dies -- try to make more than that number. I don't know if it will work. I do think my VFTs like it a lot more out in the sun. They hated it inside, IMO.

I see lots of dead vft in stores but i don't worry because i know the lengths people will go to to make a buck. Your just like a wind up doll if you go along and try to buy sick vfts and try to save them as your doing what the company wants you to do and that is buy their product. You think your doing something good but in truth the company just TCs thousands of vfts- just to make money. They don't care about the vfts cause thats why you always never find accurate care instructions with the plant, as they want your vft to die so you go and buy another one. More money money money....it's sad i know but thats just how people are...
I'm saying this cause i lost 6 vfts. I saw a sick vft in a shop and decided to save it so i brought it and put it beside all my other vfts- they all caught a fungus from it and died! So all i am saying is just remember that when u buy a sick plant your not just buying the plant your buying all the nastie organisms that are in the pot with it making it sick, and you are posing a risk to all of your healthy plants.
The iorny is i replaced my dead vfts with healthy stock from the shop i brought the sick one from( it's the only place near me that sells vfts and the healthy ones are really nice)lol.
What do you's think about the way buisness people market vfts the way they do? If you disagree with me do so then we can get a good discussion going....

I totally agree with you! We'll really shouldn't buy them unless you can get them for a discount, like a buck. We all can't help it though...It's just our sympathy for those poor little unfortunate plants. Really though save your money and buy some nice quality ones for Petflytrap or some other reputable place.
I just bought some of the barerooted Venus Flytraps and they look ten times better then those Flytraps at groccery stores.

updates on my nurseryman's exchange flytrap : well , the leaves kept dieing until there were no leaves left , but the bulbs were there and they looked strong . i took some of the strongest bulbs in the pot and left the weak ones there . even if it did survive it looked very weak . i exchanged the weak plants for a healthy cobra lily that was about to flower in a cramped pot with a small cup over it . i like my new cobra lily alot so i lost nothing in this tragedy .:D

In the nursery industry there is a saying, "The only good plant is a dead plant" by that they mean they hope you kill it because you will only go out and buy more.

Sarraceniaobsessed: i have worked for a local nursery that has just the oposite attitude that u described. infact my boss got quite upset witha woman that purchased several hundred dollars worth of plants to make her back yard look great for her sons Graduation party. she planted stuff where it looked nice with no regard of weither or not it would actually grow. my boss almost refused to sell her plants when she came in a week later to actually do her spring planting even though she was going to spend several hundred more. same thing happens every year, ppl plant tomatoes and such from him to early, they get killed by frost just like he told them they would and he just sits and shakes his head(extreamly annoyed) when they come bback to get more after the others were killed by frost. anyways to make a long story short not everyone is in it just for the money.

Sheridan S.

Quote: "The only good plant is a dead plant". Yeah, and they get a tax wright-off to boot. There is a nursery here that I go to occasionally, and some of the folks that work act like you you are asking them for their wallet if you ask them for a discount, yet they don't mind letting plants die away. Pitiful isn't it.

Alan

All i have to say is well thats what Online store's are for
wink.gif
Flytraps from Homedepot or Lowes will pretty much be dead i havent seen a good box of cp's in their store for a long time now! which sucks
sad.gif
I guess they just look at it as if they sale before they die then great but if they do end up dying then who care's u know its to bad they cant lear how to take care of the plants i alwas here the worker's telling people wrong things on Cultivating Cp's Its like COME On people read a BOOK hehe Anywas Yeah well im going to bed its like already 12.33 and im tired so im going to shut up now because im not making any sense ! love yah people Good nite !
biggrin.gif

Back