What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungicide

I read the dormancy article, which often suggested fungicide. Is this a neccessary measure for a VFT? Im going to put it outside for the winter. Im one of those people who doesn't like fooling with chems if they can get around it.

Nflytrap,
My fungicide consists of removing any dead leaves or other dead organic matter, keeping the soil moist but not wet, and good ventilation and sunlight during dormancy.  I have never had a problem with fungus on my dormant plants.  Keep in mind that I live in a 'dry' climate and that also discourages mold.  If you had problems with mold this summer, then I wouldn't chance it.  I would use a good fungicide as added insurance against fungal infection during dormancy.  If you've had little or no problem with mold then you are likely to be all right.  Just keep an eye on your plants to catch any mold before it gets a good start.  You should do this anyway even if you use a fungicide.

That's my 2¢ worth
laugh.gif

smile.gif

BCK

Hey folks.

I'm just wondering if anybody's tried using a cooled chamomile tea solution, or else maybe some form of cinnamon (both are reputedly "natural" fungicides), as a CP-friendly answer to the problem of unwanted slime. I hope to get some seeds from the ICPS seedbank soon and might have to try it . . . though I'd hate to burn up some precious little plant babies in the process!!!

I tried cinnamon last winter..
sprinkled it around the crowns of my plants before they were bagged up and put in the fridge for 3 months..
the verdict?
did absolutely nothing to prevent mold..
a complete failure.

Scot

Scot,
Cinnamon is used as a treatment not as a preventative. It is organic and the compounds breakdown within a short time of being applied to the soil.

BCK

I've gotten good results with neem spray. Held the Botrytis that attacked from my dorm room's AC unit at bay.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Jan. 04 2004,10:56)]Scot,
Cinnamon is used as a treatment not as a preventative.  It is organic and the compounds breakdown within a short time of being applied to the soil.

BCK
Steve,
yeah, we know that now..
but no one (here) knew that then!
wink.gif

After posting that and reading it I had the strangest sence of deja vu
laugh.gif
. Your post above clinched it.

laugh.gif

smile.gif

BCK

You can skip it, it's mostly an issue with large collections or those that have had infection before. I've had my VFT's for many years now and this is the first I've used fungiside and that is because I had an outbreak this summer.

Back