What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy...or not....

Right now in Central CA, Indian summer is battling winter as it clings on desperately. The fog has started to come down from the mountains. We got some rain yesterday...it seems like a really rainy year this time. Some days we are getting light frost that last for only a couple minutes until the sun rises and the clouds try to cover it.

I've been putting my Vft outside during the cool evenings to try to give it the message that dormancy is coming near.

Is this a good idea? Also, should I leave it out for the night too?

Nflytrap,
Just put the plant outside full time. Find a spot where it will get full sun for most of the day preferably protected from rain and frost and keep the soil moist but not wet or sitting in water. The plant will take care of the rest all on its own.

Good luck
Steve

Thanks for the info.

I've noticed that some of the older traps are turning black. Whether this is because of the age, or because of dormancy Im not to sure.

BTw, is there anythign wrong with the plant still sendign up "summer leaves" at this time of year?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've noticed that some of the older traps are turning black. Whether this is because of the age, or because of dormancy Im not to sure.
Prolly a little of both, as long as there is still healthy growth from the center of the plant all is well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BTw, is there anythign wrong with the plant still sendign up "summer leaves" at this time of year?
The plant is prolly just confused as to the season having been kept indoors. Once it acclimates itself to being outside it will settle into its seasonal cycle.

Good luck
Steve

Back