What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does it still grow during dormancy

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Does a flytrap still put out leaves during dormancy?

Wes,
When the plant is fully into dormancy there should be very little new growth. Mine are currently still producing new leaves at this time so I wouldnt worry about anything being wrong just yet.

Steve

Ok thanks

Wesley, mine have been below freezing twice now and are showing every sign of dormancy except that they are still growing new leaves also. Those are most likely going to be the winter leaves. As time goes by, the existing leaves/traps may turn black and die leaving the short, stubby winter leaves.

Alan

My traps do seem to turn black before they actually finish forming. Also, the plants do seem to grow a bit slower. I try to let them stay dry for a few days, before giving them just enough water to get them damp again. Is this good enough?

Mine has had a couple of the older summer leaves die(which I promptly removed) but it still looks quite the same. Its still producing new leaves, but these arent erect as the others are.

mine are still producing, and the red and green dragon leaves are squat and wide, but my dent is producing long thin leaves. The red and green dragon are growing really slow, and the dente is growing so-so. They are all in the same environment.

I purchased a VFT in June and its leaves grew from 1/2 inch to 1 inch. Then came November and I took it home, placing it between the inner & outer kitchen windows. Soon, thereafter, the three newest an immature leaves ceased developing while the mature leaves have one-by-one been yellowing and then blackening. It was suggested that it may not be cold enough (green house effect), so I moved it to our adjoining screened in porch, where it is receiving colder air, hopefully moderated some by the living room. I live in the Reading, PA area, so it does go below freezing. But so do the Carolinas. I believe the plant is alive and asleep - but this is my first attempt at dormancy. Should be interesting in a couple months.

I only have VFT's stop growing leaves in the winter when they have been stressed by something or right when they wake up. They just makes lots of tiney pathedic leaves for me, lol.

so, how exactly can I tell that they are dormant?

The slowing of growth and or a change in leaf shape and size.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so, how exactly can I tell that they are dormant?

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>1. They don't grow as fast as they did during the summer.

2. They don't die, and they begin vigorous growth again in the spring.</span>

PM,
2. Well, yea. LOL

Uh-oh, my dente are starting to send out long leaves... does it need to be colder? I have it the same as the others, but all the others have short heart shaped leaves.

Reading this thread on dormancy, I'm slightly reassured now cause my plant has lost all of its traps and are only growing with short stubby leaves -- where the traps are not even developing.

I best take it out of the 1/2" of water I've been filling the terrarium with cause I just read in a post that it could cause root rot during times of inactive growth  ~_~

Oh dear,,, environment conditions aren't exactly the best either since it's by the window and my room is quite cold.. student house.. -_-

No, keep it in the cold. They need the cold and less light to stay dormant.

i don't know.
biggrin.gif

-The Cap

Back