What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

newbie confusded about dormancy

Hello to all and Thanks in advance for your help!

I am new to the VFT's...whats the best method of dormancy for my climate, I have read about the various ways in this forum, but it is confusing to read so many being new to the VFT,
background:
I have a hybrid red/green dragon, just got it last thursday in the mail, I have watered it accordingly then noticed its leaves are small and close to the soil, so i figure its ready for dormancy.  I also live in Houston, weather varies eratically during the fall, winter, and spring; while summers are blistering with humidity.
so my question is whats the best way to keep it dormant, its 75'F now but tomorrow it could get down to 30'F by this saturday then next week back to 70'F+

Other than method type, what is a good fungicide for the b/r refidge method.  And if not using the b/r refridge method what is the best number of daylight hours for dormancy.

Again thanks for your time and paitience

Hi Dude theflytrap...  Welcome to the forum

Houston temp averages are comparable to what VFTs get in the wild. Slightly warmer, but certainly cool enough for dormancy. Here is a comparison of the averages of Houston and Wilmington Nc.: Houston       Wilmington

The leaves being small and flat to the ground does not necessarily mean that the plant is going dormant. There are many factors that can contribute to this type of growth. Being that you just got it in the mail a week ago I suspect that most likely this plant is fresh from tissue culture and very young. Its quite possible that attempting to force dormancy on it right now will kill it. I suggest that you contact the source and verify the true age of the plant and the conditions it was in prior to shipping, this will greatly assist us in providing accurate information to you.

Good luck
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Nov. 26 2003,7:48)]Hi Dude theflytrap...  Welcome to the forum

Houston temp averages are comparable to what VFTs get in the wild. Slightly warmer, but certainly cool enough for dormancy. Here is a comparison of the averages of Houston and Wilmington Nc.: Houston       Wilmington

The leaves being small and flat to the ground does not necessarily mean that the plant is going dormant. There are many factors that can contribute to this type of growth. Being that you just got it in the mail a week ago I suspect that most likely this plant is fresh from tissue culture and very young. Its quite possible that attempting to force dormancy on it right now will kill it. I suggest that you contact the source and verify the true age of the plant and the conditions it was in prior to shipping, this will greatly assist us in providing accurate information to you.

Good luck
Steve
Wow...Thanks for the info!  I will contact the company at the start of next week to find out more.  Again Thanks a Bunch!

Don

Back