What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus Flytrap Seeds hi prter

As you all know, I'll be gone for christmas for two weeks.  I just got bought some Hybrid Venus Flytrap seeds.  They're  very fresh and just harvested according to the seller.  Should I sow them all right now and leave them in the terrainium to grow over vacation?  I'll be leaving in two weeks, so if sowed right now it'll be four weeks of sowing them.  Do you guys think they'll sprout before I go?  If they do sprout will they survive the two weeks without me being there?
If not, I plan of wrapping the seeds in wet paper towels for four weeks and throwing them in the fridge, then sowing them when I get back.  Will that actually improve the germination rate or make it worse?  I've heard of storing them in a dry airsealed container, and was wondering how you actually do that.  Does the size of the container matter?
And does that decrease gemination rate?
I would strongly appreciate all advice!

Peter, I haven't grown vfts from seeds, but many times I have started pepper seeds like you said using damp paper towels. I had to watch them closely because had a tendency to set in. Even in the refrigerator, it's very possible that mold could ruin them unless they are in a sterile container. Mold thrives in a cold environment as well as it does in a warm environment. It just grows slower.
I'm going to guess that you could store them in the fridge as you do Drocera seeds as long as they are not damp. I wouldn't let them freeze though although Ozzie has said that the vfts and their seeds in the wilds of the Carolinas have endured temps as low as 0*. My 1c worth.

You might check with FlytrapGirl, I know that she is good at working with vft seeds.

Edited by alandallas

If I sowed them for three weeks in the fridge, do you guys think this will be sufficient? Because I already put them on moist paper and threw them in the fridge. I plan on sowing them right before I go, since it takes two weeks or more to germinate.

As long as they are fresh it should be sufficient.

Just an update, I sowed all the seeds.
Hopefully they'll all survive...

Thanks for all the tips by the way!

Back