What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clarifications on VFT cultivars

Hi VFT enthusiasts,
I seem rather confused by certain cultivars of VFT
I come across names like Dentate, Sawtooth, Shark's Tooth, Red Piranha;

What's the difference between a Dentate and a Shark's Tooth?

Also how can I distinguish a Akai Ryu from a Royal Red?

Are there any photos to illustrate the differences?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vistary @ Dec. 13 2003,10:49)]Hi VFT enthusiasts,
I seem rather confused by certain cultivars of VFT
I come across names like Dentate, Sawtooth, Shark's Tooth, Red Piranha;

What's the difference between a Dentate and a Shark's Tooth?

Also how can I distinguish a Akai Ryu from a Royal Red?

Are there any photos to illustrate the differences?
Dentate is short stubs for hairs, shark's tooth is two hairs fused together. Red Piranha is an all red Dentate. Akai Ryu looks like it's about to die and take 500billion watts of electricity to actually be red(exageration) and royal red doesn't... royal red is more "Orange" Although it is tricky to tell them appart.

Check out the ICPS for original descriptions for registered cultivars.

T

cool85k5 : Thanks for the links, but which is the link to Bob Ziemer's page?

Darcie: Thanks for your comments. I think "Shark's Tooth" cultivars do not have tooth that are fused together. Those with tooth that are fused together are called "Fused Tooth"

Tony Paroubek: Thanks. I think the ICPS page on VFT cultivars is very useful. However not all cultivars are mentioned. But what I found was a cultivar named "Jaws". Is "jaws" the same as "sharks' tooth" ?

Fused Tooth have webbing along all the teeth "fusing" them together. The Sharktooth's have every two teeth stuck together so they have these big spikey-like teeth. Jaws and Sharktooth's are different, but I don't remember how. I think it's just two clones with similar mutation.

Dentate and Dente are the same plant. They have short, triangular teeth.
Shark's Tooth Dentate is just the same except it has longer, more erect petioles. It also seems to turn just pink in the traps, whereas Dentate/Dente can go quite a deep red.
Sawtooth and Dentata are probably the same plant. The teeth are like bristles.
Red Piranha is completely red and grows mostly erect petioles. It is in effect a red Shark's Tooth Dentate.

Hey, why don't we go to the ICRA or IRA to see what's up with VFT cultivars:

List of cultivar names registered for VFTs

The only ones that are accepted (published with all necessaries to complete the cultivar registration process), are the ones with a date after the "HC:".

ICPS has only a few registered cultivars. However, we come across many other cultivars from other websites.
I even read somewhere that shark's tooth was a dentate (with small triangular teeth, non-bristle like) and the trap interior is deep red. Hence, it is aptly named Shark's Tooth since it resembles a Shark's mouth.
But in the ICPS list, there is a cultivar called "Jaws".
Such names are indeed confusing, but anyway I was given the website below and found it rather interesting since it list almost all the VFT cultivars:

http://hometown.aol.com/lulibybb/vftm.html

But, are the stuff mentioned within reliable?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]<span style='color:blue'>ICPS has only a few registered cultivars. However, we come across many other cultivars from other websites.</span>

Uh em, the ICPS is the only officially appointed ICRA (International Cultivar Registration Authority) for the vast majority of CP, see: Link to the ICPS's ICRA status. The reason why this should be seems obvious, but I will try to mention them.

The duties of the ICPS as ICRA for CP is that they coordinate and maintain an internationally available database of officially registered cultivars and this includes detailed descriptions and photographic standards.

It is nice that images and names are recorded here: http://hometown.aol.com/lulibybb/vftm.html. But the only way this will be the way it should is when all of these wonderful clones of VFT get officially registered, then a universal standard will exist that we can all use, like an encyclopedia of CP.

Working on it ;) I just need to record reproductive and winter/spring phases for a lot of these guys and I'm set to start registering
biggrin.gif
Someone has to do it, right?... Your working on some with Tamlin too aren't you?

Yes, both Tamlin and I have already submitted several cultivars for publication and registration. I can hardly wait to have this system up to date and working as expected.

Yes, Darcie. I have one form I hope to register a name for.

Why are you going into all the detail of reproductive phases? All you need is a good description as to how the plant appears, that is, its main characteristic that sets it apart from others, how it came to be (if you know), why you named it as you did, how to propagate it to maintain its distinct features, contact information if you wish to include this. That's all, short and sweet, just as they appear on the official ICPS cultivar list.

A fictional example:

Dionaea 'Cream de Menthe'

Varigated green and white traps and petioles distinguish this form from all other previously registered cultivars. The plant arose from a large seed batch sown in 1989. One seedling demonstrated the varigated form, was selected and propagated. This plant may only be reproduced by rhizome division. The plant is named for the beautiful cream and green varigation found throughout the plant. The characteristic form and color is maintained in most lighting conditions, but stronger in high light conditions. Interested communicants, please email me at tamlindd@yahoo.com

(Photo here clearly showing the distinguishing features mentioned, and of a quality sufficient for printing onto paper: 35 mm or very high resolution digital)

Send to: bamrice@ucdavis.edu
jan.schlauer@uni-tuebingen.de

Easier than pie. You should limit your entries to plants with, or expecting to have, a wide distribution.

Thank you for enlightening me.

Tarnlim: your fictional example sounds rather interesting, actually such a plant with white traps does exist. Does anyone have it?

fa48d737.jpg.thumb.jpg

Best's Carnivorous Plants of the Czech Republic (I think) have bred that plant but I don't know how their tissue culture plan is going. As far as I know, they are the only people who have it in the world.

Also, I wouldn't take the ICPS cultivar list as gospel - there are plenty of cultivars not in there e.g. Sarracenia x 'Diane Whittaker', S. x 'Brook's Hybrid' and Nick Romanski's Australian hybrids.

Back