What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green has Died, may it rest in peace

(sorry, no spell check, can't run it with the browser without crashing on this old comp)

A moment of silence.... ....

After over a year of trying to make this plant happy, it has finally died. I tried everything and nothing improved it's sudden obsession with making trapless narled leaves last December; burned on the edges despite plenty of water, burned even more when switched to drier conditions, rotting in wetter conditions, burning in more light, rotting in less, AHHHHH! STUPID PLANT...I er uh... yah, a little frustrating. I do miss it's pathedic little attempts at producing leaves
sad.gif
poor thing. Anyhow, I did an autopsy and would you believe what I found? The whole ******* plant was mutated and twisted! Now it was a normal long skinny risome with lots of roots hanging off of it when I transplanted it about 8 months ago in hopes it was just a soil issue, a little heftier then usual under all that dirt, but not that abnormal. Now it's... it's... it's >_< a smooth swollen lumpy ball with a couple of roots hanging out of it. The growth point has been sucked into the hard swollen mass of underground stem and is pinched off, along with all the little sprouts trying to get out! THAT'S WHY THEY KEPT DIEING! The thing was pinching off it's own leaves >_< Honestly it's so swollen that I swear if I poked it with a needle the whole thing would pop!, but it's hard, like it's flesh and looks like a white and grey pebble. The good news is, it's not mushy. Right now it's in a wet paper towl in a baggy in the fridge. I'm hoping it will try again in the spring... or do you think I should try cutting it up to get clones now? Or donate it to science as a freak of nature, lol!

So, anyone have a clue as to what happend to my baby? (in it's prime it made 6 inch long leaves with giant traps)

I've had flytraps for a long time now (for a 20 year old anyhow), but I've never actually had one die before(unless you count the ones when I was 7). And I don't really know what to do with an "everything but the rysome is dead" one. So um, any tips from growers more experienced in the underground regions of the plant (I repot, and that's the limit of my experience there, lol)? I know one of you must have some ideas on what to do, I mean between all of us we must have several thousand plants right? One of them had to have done this before! Thanks everyone
smile.gif
for listening to the tale of Green the Flytrap and for any thoughts or comments you might have. May it be rememberd as a true trooper of the VFT world.

Do you have any pictures of this plant available? I've Never heard of this happening to any plants before.

Yes, actually, I do. I've mainly got botanical watercolors I did of it, but I think I have photoes as well. I can take one of the lump thats left if it would be helpfull. I'll try and get the pictures on-line asap.

I would guess that plant missed a dormancy or two before you got it......before I knew about dormancy, I lost a plant I had for 2 years...it just gradually shut down and died.....I was so depressed....then I got the CP bible(Savage Garden) and vowed never to repeat that mistake.....but since you have about 10 times as many posts to you credit I would guess that this is just one of those plants that dies for no reason.....

Back