What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy Temperature

If I were to place my VFT in the fridge, what is the ideal temperature for dormancy?

I placed one pot of VFT at the back of my vegetable compartment, wrapped it in a ziplock bag and when I took it out this morning, there were ice crytals everywhere
sad.gif

I think the plant has frozen to death.

Vistary,
I like to place mine on one of the door shelves or at the front of the fridge where I can see it when I reach in to get something. This way I see it and can remember to check it for fungus and it is also one of the warmest spots in the fridge 'cause of the door opening.

smile.gif

BCK

I have had my pots freeze solid for a month with no ill effect to the dormant plant. Temperatures a bit above freezing (40-45F) are optimal, but I think your plant will survive just fine.

^ That's a releif. I'm in the process of acclimating m plants to colder temps (Was in Richmond dorm, couldn't do it sooner. On the plus side, I'd been cutting photoperiod since october). My VFT pot and the small leuco pot froze a few days ago. I'll be wrapping them in blankets from now on. They'll be acclimated and put dormant over the course of the next month before I stick them in the fridge before I return to Richmond on the 18th. It's nice to have a plan
smile.gif

Back