What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello. Introduction plusweird venus flytrap leaf..

Hello. My name is Danny and I am currently going to Ohio State in Columbus Ohio. I am some what new to CP's. When I was little I must have had about 10 different VFT's that all died with in days of arrival. However In August I was walking around a meijers and I noticed they were selling VFT's. I remembered my childhood failures and wanted to correct the situation so I picked one up and brought it home ( after paying for it of course
tounge.gif
) Anyways I did a search on the internet and found out about all the things I did wrong and such (I also started lurking around in this place around that time). 4 months later the plant is still alive! Recently I aquired some more VFT's 2 green Dragons, 2 Red Dragons, 2 Dentates and 2 more commons. The place I ordered them from also gave me a free Pinguicula Moranensis (bare root) They are all doing quite well. Today though we stopped by Lowe's hardware and i couldn't resist looking at their plants. About 95% of them were dead and dried out. I however did find some nice plants. I found a half alive Drosera, I got 2 healthy Darlingtonia, another ping, and about 3 venus flytaps. 2 of the VFT's looked quite healthy. The other VFT was a rather small plant however it had huge traps (about an 3/4-1 in across) I hope I can reve that one. One of 2 healthy VFT's though has a very odd trait however. The leaf part of the plant below the trap is serrated on the edge. It gives the entire plant a somewhat spiky appearance. I compared it to my other VFT's plus pictures I have seen on the internet and none of them have this serrated pattern. I would be glad to take pictures of this plant if someone could host them for me or reccomend a free hosting service. it's odd how I have gone from one little VFT to about 18 plants...

Hmmm  sounds interesting. You can host them for free right here on the PFT user gallery. Upload them into the gallery here: http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/albums.php    Then copy the URL from the address bar and when you post, clik the Image button and paste the URL into the window that pops up.

Good luck
Steve

Thanks for the help. Here is the picture
Vft.sized.jpg

My plants I got from Lowes did that for a while because of stress. I'll have to check my plants when I get home and see if they are still like that. Anyway, welcome aboard, hope you enjoy yourself here. I'm sure you will be getting many more plants if you stay around long enough.

SF

Hi Danny!  It's good to meet a fellow OSU student.  I go to one of the regional campuses but eventually I’ll transfer to main campus.  Good luck with those CPs!! I'm sure you'll enjoy them.
smile.gif

-buckeye

welcome to the forums ALLOSAURS , the serration on your vfts are perfectly normal , i get it alot on my typicals i get from stores , it looks cool to me but if you don't like it it'll go away in a while . good luck

Back