What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I drew faces on the traps...

• Thread starter TBGuy
  • Start date
i used a permanent marker to draw eyes on the bigger traps... it says nontoxic but will it hurt my plant?

i don't think so , as long as your not coloring the bulb or roots , i've always though about coloring on my vft making faces but i never had the time , i'd like to see a pic .

leaves may die a little earlier, but for a one time thing it is probubly okay. Take pictures
biggrin.gif

i dont have a camera...

i thought my marker might have been causing it to die, but i think it just went dormant for the winter... i didn't know it did that...

good news... i finally got hold of a digital camera...

but the traps i drew on has now turned black and died and my plant is starting to shrivel up...

TBGuy,
im a little worried about your plant..
not because of the marker/eyes, but because it has decieded to "go dormant" within the last week..
So it was fine when you drew the eyes on December 29?
it shouldnt "go dormant" that fast..it should be much more gradual,
and it should happen in October!
while the plant is outside..

I assume your plant is being grown indoors right now?
thats very bad for January..
where is it growing? inside or outside?
and what are its growing conditions?
(temperature, light, water, etc..)
and how long have you had it?
if it IS outside, and you have cool winter temps right now, then its probably fine..otherwise there is reason to be concerned for its health..and you need to do something to change its environment right away..

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Jan. 09 2004,07:19)]TBGuy,
im a little worried about your plant..
not because of the marker/eyes, but because it has decieded to "go dormant" within the last week..
So it was fine when you drew the eyes on December 29?
it shouldnt "go dormant" that fast..it should be much more gradual,
and it should happen in October!
while the plant is outside..

I assume your plant is being grown indoors right now?
thats very bad for January..
where is it growing? inside or outside?
and what are its growing conditions?
(temperature, light, water, etc..)
and how long have you had it?
if it IS outside, and you have cool winter temps right now, then its probably fine..otherwise there is reason to be concerned for its health..and you need to do something to change its environment right away..

Scot
Agread. Crash dormancey is an icky thing. I have this one plant I nick named green that did that to me last year even though I had just gotten it and it was in artificial lighting. The thing has look horrid ever since and this fall it crashed out AGAIN! This time it dropped all it's leaves and my mom thought it was an empty pot and tossed it in the rubbish bin before I got it in the fridge so I had to go and find the little sucker. Sometimes it is just the plant. See, I have another vft I got at the same time, on an identical scedual as this ones and it never has crashed. Hopefully yours will be okay though, sometimes you can have rapid die off from the traps geting tripped or whattever and have it be okay.

I cant imagine a marker doing your plant any good that in combination with it going dead after that doesn't't sound good, i hope it isn't dead Also you posted saying you were looking for the right light and I'm not 100% sure on this but i was told cool white lights best for viewing and will not't have much of a usable spectrum for the vft. you may try inquiring further on that as it could be why your plant is browning/dieing/going dormant. i wouldn't't wright any more marker faces on a plant that may already not be getting proper lighting, it cant help your case any. i grow mine under full spectrum an i noticed a good growth spurt when i did so. i use to use cool white an i did not't seem to be having any luck under that light, but always good to inquire more before deciding. or try both kinds maybe, the lights are about 6 dollars an some change at home depot. gl with the plant

Cool white is actually pretty good, much better than warm light, for example. Of course, you need enough light, no matter the color temperature, as vfts require high light levels. "Cool" and "Warm" are terms that refer not to the level fo light, but the color. Shoot for around 5000k as a color level.

Capslock

i have one daylight bulb and one warm white bulb about half a foot from the plants... i use them both and the plants seem to have enough light, could it be too close? it kinda looks like the surface of the nearest bulb might be about 3 inches from the plant

im not sure on your exact bulb but i had a bonzi under the same light i had been using on my vft uknowingly i burned it to a crisp literaly i would ask the distance thoes bulbs should be from your plants

Back