What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Division or Not?

• Thread starter Derrick
  • Start date
Iam going to be replanting my vfts this year and have a couple of questions that have alreay probally been awnsered (sorry) I think the one plant has clumped - Are they easy to seperate and will the plant be ok if I just leave it alone and just transplant the enitire ryhzome. This will be the third summer I had em and when I first got them they came in a 3 inch plastic pot, is it still big enough or should I get bigger.

(And any tips on how to get the plant out of its old pot would be great!!)

Thanks alot!

VFTs are pretty easy to separate. When you unpot them, you should be able to see the various growth points easily. If they are developed enough, just snap them apart. The plant will be fine if you choose to leave it alone though. VFTs don't have a huge root system, but I might want to put them in say a 4 or 6 inch pot, depending on the size of the plant. To get the pot out of the old pot, gently squeeze the pot on all sides to loosen the media. Turn the pot upside down and gently tap on the bottom. If the plant does not slide out, use a pencil and poke up the drainage holes to try and push it out. When it starts to slide out, catch it. Falling VFTs = Broken VFTs= Dead VFTs.

Does this help?

SF

You don't need to declump them to have happy plants. Heck, I'd love to get a plant that did that so I could have nice full pots of them, but allas, non of mine have shown that tendency... My oldest plant however has about a million roots though... you would think a plant that gigantic underground would make a new plant, but OH NO, it just COULDN'T do that could it, lol.

to help when transplanting I cut the old container apart and I dont agitate the growing medieum at all I just cut the pot off of it and then it does not go through shock from transplanting.

Back