What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

warm white compact flourescent bulb?

• Thread starter TBGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly
i have a 20 watt, 1200 lumen warm white compact flourescent bulb and i was wondering if it would be alright to use this for my venus fly traps?

i have it about 5 inches from the plant

Plants prefer the cool white end of the colour spectrum unfortunately. You could use your bulb along with a cool white one, but on its own the plant won't be able to use much of the light.

Some light is better then no light. If you use thr warm light, just put it closer to the plants
smile.gif
like 3 inches. Mine like 3 inches for warm lights

would a 23W cool white compact fluorescent be better than a 19W daylight compact fluorescent?

and Darcie, are you just using the warm white light or are you mixing them with something else?

Lighting is a very tricky subject... I suggest you take some time and search the archives in the Greenhouse/ Terrarium forum. there is a lighting 101 topic pinned at the top and many many questions about lighting in the archives. I am assuming that you are refering to the bare root VFT you posted about in an earlier topic, so I will not recommend that you put it outside just yet. Your profile says that you are in California, which happens to have excellent CP weather year round (believe me many of the members of this forum would kill to have the weather we have here). VFTs are full sunlight plants, in the spring I suggest you find a nice spot outside that recieves at least 8 hours of full sunlight (preferably morning-early afternoon) and grow them outside full time.

Good luck
Steve

Every one i ever asked Told me to use Full spectrum florurecent light, and i do on mine from about 16 inches away its a 48 inch 40 wat bulb and mine grow good under it

How do I know if my compact fluorescents are warm or cool white?

Most compact fluorescents are warm white so that they match tungsten bulbs. The packaging on most is terrible and doesn't tell you the colour temperature, but cool whites give out very white light. Put the bulb next to a normal tungsten and if it gives out the same yellowy orange cast, then it will be warm white.

Back