What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT roots?

• Thread starter wezx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
hello,
will a container with a depth of 2 inches hold a matured VFT?
thx

My mature VFT with a diameter of 12cm across, does well in a plastic pot of diameter 10cm and depth 8cm.

it could holf 1 vft for a while but bigger pots are better , they don't really like root distubance but i hear planst with crammed roots tend to have bigger traps .

Uhhh you should really get bigger pots, at least 3 inch in height.
smile.gif

so what can i use these pots for? what kinds of cps

you can use them for smaller VFTs or maybe sundews

They will also make good seed starting pots. Seeds only need 1-2" of media to sprout. Once the new sprouts are large enough, or starting to grow into one another, they can be transplanted to larger pots.

Terestrial Utricularia should do well in such pots,but don`t use clay!(I learned the hard way).

bigger pots need to be watered less consistantly, which my plants seem to like considering cp dont like to dry out.

why are the clay pots bad

Terra cotta pots have a tendency to leech minerals and salts (I believe) into the soil over time. Minerals in soil = dead VFTs. For best results stick with plastic or glazed ceramic pots for your VFTs and leave the terra cotta for cactus.

Steve

I was at Lowes the other day and they have these pots that are glazed ceramic on the outside, have an inner ceramic pot that is not glazed.  The idea is to put water in the outer pot and the inner pot will slowly absorb it.  Has anyone tried these for a VFT?  It would definitely keep the soil moist.

Jeremy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jjhall @ Jan. 08 2004,08:09)]I was at Lowes the other day and they have these pots that are glazed ceramic on the outside, have an inner ceramic pot that is not glazed.  The idea is to put water in the outer pot and the inner pot will slowly absorb it.  Has anyone tried these for a VFT?  It would definitely keep the soil moist.

Jeremy
You'll run into the same thing Steve talked about above.  The clay absorbs the water and any disolved minerals in it.  Eventually the minerals start leaching back out of the clay/ceramic pot and into the soil your plant is in.  It may take longer with this pot, as the minerals will have to work through from the outside, but down the road a few years you will end up with the same thing.

smile.gif

BCK

A 2" pot will work for 2-3 years after you get a plant fresh from tissue culture. After that, they may start to outgrow it, but you can just transplant them then. In my experience, vft fresh from tissue culture have very tiney root systems
smile.gif
... but my oldest flytrap has enough solid root mass to compleatly fill a 3" pot without any soil o_O It is an extream case though ;) (does not divide like most plants do when they get big)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Jan. 08 2004,18:43)]You'll run into the same thing Steve talked about above.  The clay absorbs the water and any disolved minerals in it.  
I am using purified water with my VFTs as I don't trust my tap.  Would this be OK in my situation?  I'm thinking of getting one of the pots for a spider plant or two, but I use tap to water those.

Clay comes from the ground, so it starts out with minerals, salts and other garbage.  This makes it unsuitable for CPs.  Spider plants on the other hand (and I have no idea what those are, all I know is that they are not carnivorous) may be able to take a higher concentration of minerals, and do fine in a pot like that.

SF

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SnowyFalcon @ Jan. 09 2004,13:26)]Clay comes from the ground, so it starts out with minerals, salts and other garbage.  This makes it unsuitable for CPs.  Spider plants on the other hand (and I have no idea what those are, all I know is that they are not carnivorous) may be able to take a higher concentration of minerals, and do fine in a pot like that.

SF
o_O you have never heard of a spider plant before? I'm in shock over here. They are like the most common house plant on the planet, lol... or at least I thought they were.

spider plants are really nifty to propragate.
mad.gif

Back