What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rapid Termperature Changes

I live in Atlanta, GA, and have been experimenting with keeping my VFTs outside for dormancy this winter. We have had a VERY unstable winter, with temperatures rising into the 60s and 70s last weekend and daytime highs in the 20s today. One day my VFTs are in spring weather, and the next their pot is frozen through.

Are such rapid changes a problem? How long does it have to be warm before they come out of dormancy?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

Well "frozen through" doesnt sound good, I have heard stories of plants that survive temporary freezes, but I dont recommend that you let them do that too often. The temp fluxuations are not generally something you need to worry about, although on the coldest nights I suggest that you either insulate your plants or bring them inside. One night of indoor warmth is much less stressfull on a plant than a night of below freezing temps. I regularly bring my plants inside on nights when I know its going to be below 30 outside and so far my plants are no worse for the experience.

Cheers
Steve

Check out www.cobraplant.com.  They are a CP nursery that specializes in North American CP's.  They grow all their NA CP's OUTSIDE in the winter.  There are even pics of their VFT's with a few inches of snow on them.  This is my first winter with a VFT and am trying the refridgerator thing at night.  I just tie it in a small plastic garbage bag to keep it from drying out and put it back in the terrarium for some light.  I also recommend, HIGHLY, "Savage Garden" by Peter D'Amato for some excellent information.
blues.gif

Update!

I brought them in yesterday afternoon and put them in the fridge until it gets abouve freezing. They have thawed and appear fine. I've seen enough frozen plants in my life to know when there is no coming back.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bouncer67 @ Jan. 07 2004,20:41)]Check out www.cobraplant.com.  They are a CP nursery that specializes in North American CP's.  They grow all their NA CP's OUTSIDE in the winter.  There are even pics of their VFT's with a few inches of snow on them.  This is my first winter with a VFT and am trying the refridgerator thing at night.  I just tie it in a small plastic garbage bag to keep it from drying out and put it back in the terrarium for some light.  I also recommend, HIGHLY, "Savage Garden" by Peter D'Amato for some excellent information.
blues.gif
o_o *blink* o_o YAY!!!!! When did they open? I've been trying to find a good source for north american species!!! OH OH! Thred Sundews
biggrin.gif
I thought I'd never find them for sale! I wan't one ooooooooo!

It was in the 70`s last week and now it`s been below 0 ,so I was worried about my D.rotundifolia,and S.oreophilla,but they are under 3 feet of oak leaf mulch so they should be fine.I hope you`r plants will be ok!
cool.gif

My plants outside, are under no protections except a few that are under a bench and the temperature has been in the low 30F. So far i don't see any problems. Though I did let their extra deep trays fill with water from the recent rain so that might be keeping it insolated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (IceDragon @ Jan. 09 2004,18:25)]Though I did let their extra deep trays fill with water from the recent rain so that might be keeping it insolated.
Drain off the water. If you leave your plants sitting in water, there is a much higher chance for root rot because the plant is not "drinking" like it would be in an active growth cycle. Keep the soil moist, but not wet and not sitting in water.

Cheers
Steve

Back