What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crossing VFTs

I'm planning on polinating 2 VFTs this spring. I was wondering if the two plants I'm planning to cross does not flower simulataneously, then is there a way to preserve the pollen of one plant's flower so I could pollenate the other when the flower opens? Oh ya and how could I tell when the stigma of the venus flytrap is ready to take pollen? Is it ready right when it's open or do I have to wait about a day or 2?

If I am not mistaken, the stigma of the VFT flower is not receptive until two or three days after the flower has opened. When the stigma appears 'fuzzy' it is ready.

I don't know about preserving pollen though. I would assume it could survive a few weeks in the fridge.

SF

Yah, probubly a few weeks in the frige. Most pollen in built to last a little while
smile.gif

K thanks guys. Can't wait till spring!!
mad.gif

Tell us how it turns out

Sure I will. I think I'll make a journal/thread like FTG did to tell ya guys how it will turn out. So far I'm planning on crossing my Bigmouth, extremely short prostrate petioles with huge traps with my green dragon, hoping I'll get a VFT with huge traps on short petioles and is all red. This will take at least 2 generations of crossing to hopefully have one plant with the right allele combinations.
biggrin.gif

I hope you have a few decades. It can take a seed born vft up to 7 years to reach maturity :p

Back