What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thought I would share this photo

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, I fed an out-of-season actively growing venus flytrap a cricket today. Well, the trap growing under it didn't like the idea of not getting any for itself. So, what did it do... Its trying to eat the other other one with the cricket. Seems when the first trap closed, it triggered the other trap to close right after it. (Yes, I know it will reopen if a few days).

Dionaea_two_traps_closed.jpg

LOL it once had a triple closure. That kind of scene just upsets me because of the wasted trap. But that is a really cool pic!
mad.gif

Good picture
smile.gif
mine do that sometimes too.

That's a nice pic. I will take a pic of mine next time it does that. One time the crown grew so thick that I could have closed 7 in a row! I didn't want to damage the plant though, so I didn't activate them.
tounge.gif

SF

Cool photo Nick.
smile.gif
It looks kinda like "love" to me...like one trap tightly hugging another. Awwwwwwwwww! Seeeee, these plants aren't little monsters...they have kind and loving feelings too.
biggrin.gif

Cool picture!!! Does your venus flytrap have a name? I call mine Todd
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif

Wll the inside trap be sucked of all its life or will it just open back up after it realized that the trigger hairs did not trigger and it opened back up thinking it had a dead bug or somthing. I had this happen but I thought that was the way the plant catches more bugs.

looks like a cool new species

Very funny, like chain reaction or dominoes!

How funny. One of my flytraps once tried to "eat" itself after a storm. I came out and found one of the traps with a stem in it's "mouth".
laugh.gif

Back