What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting VFT's

Hi ALL,
In November I bought/saved 2 VFts from Lowes and they are doing great.They are still in the same pots they came in and I want to put them into 4" or 6" pots so when the weather gets better I can put them outside and there is less of a chance of them tipping over.Should I do it now and if so should I just put the whole thing,soil and all, into the new pots and add soil around it? I plan on using 1/2 peat 1/2 sand mix.
Thanks,
Mark W.

Thanks

I would plant soil and all to minimize root shock. I usually don't change the soil unless it's a couple years old or I have had algae and mineral build up (from the store watering them). Since your plants are doing great I think the soil should be fine. Another reason to do it now is that they will have more time to recover before dormancy next year.

smile.gif

BCK

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I usually don't change the soil unless it's a couple years old or I have had algae and mineral build up (from the store watering them).

How about three years in the same soil? Is that to long?
rock.gif
Because if I am going to change the soil mine as well do that before spring comes.

Travis

Hi Travis,
Three years is getting old enough you might want to change it. When mine is that old, it is pretty compacted in the pots and beginning to smother the roots. So I change the soil as much for that as that it may be breaking down or have minerals from the water in it (I use RO. It's not as pure as distilled).

smile.gif

BCK

Older soil is usually better though if you can avoid the packing problem. I use perlight in my pots so it's never been an issue. The only plants you really need to change soil with are those that suck the living saylights out of the stuff, like normal plants.

Back