What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf Cutting

Hi everybody I am new to the forum, and kinda new to the Vft scene. I was wondering if you can use a root dip gel or solution to help get the leaf cutting started in the rooting process.
Thanks for your help.
Jamie

I pretty sure you could, but you really don't need to since they root pretty easily.

Never needed any rooting hormone.

I have made successful leaf cuttings from VFT's. I gently peel the leaves from the bulb of the plant, getting some of the white base. This is were the new plants will form. I place the leaf into a pot with a mix of peat moss, long fiber sphagnum , and perlite covering the white part of the leaf with the soil. I then cover the pot with a clear dome to keep the humidity as high as possible. I keep the pots in a bright lit area. The uncovered end of the leaf will start to die and blacken. Then when I think it has not worked, I notice the little VFT plants starting to grow. Does not work 100% of the time, but success rate extremely high.

Does one leaf produce several plants or was that several leaves produce several plants? Does Super thrive help in leaf cuttings?

One leaf can make multipull plantlet crowns. I don't know if superthrive helps or not, I've had nearly 100% success rate by just ripping off a leaf and shoving the end in the dirt next to the parent plant, lol! You can usually tell if a cutting will take because it isn't totally brown by about a week. One week later it looks totally dead and by the third, at the latest, you have little plants sticking up above the soil.

Thanx Darcie! Good to know what to expect.

Is it best to do these leaf cutting  propigation in the winter or in the spring which is coming up? or in the summer or what?

You can do them anytime while there are growing.
I usually do mine in the fall. When it starts to get cold I put them in my terrarium. Next spring back outside. Then that year I will let them go into dormancy.

Um, yes? I don't think it makes a real big difference with VFTs.

Back