What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal Halide Lamps

• Thread starter Jamie
  • Start date
I was thinkinng about buying a 400 watt Metal Halide Lamp cool deluxe for my VFT's and was looking for some feed back maybe from some people that have them or have used them in the past, What do you think of them?
Thanks for your help...

I think for this genus it is overkill. You would have far better results growing your plants outside in the sunny summer, and placing them into their appropriate dormancy in the fall. I use my HID lights in the cold months when good light is hard to come by to maintain a rather extensive collection. If you are growing a limited number of plants, flourescents would work as well, and are FAR less expensive to burn.

Also, note there is no "cool" metal halide. They generate a great deal of heat, and their employment demands a humidifier or two in the room which run on mineral free water, and potentially could require some sort of exhaust system to remove the excess heat generated by the lamps.

Ok thanks very much.

Back