What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little springtime prep

I've seen pics of the flower on the VFT faq at sarracenia.com, my question is...

Is it best to cut em off as early as possible?(once to realize its not a leaf but a developing stalk).

Thanks....I'm not to interested in making VFT seeds right now.

I cut them off as early as possible with no problems.

Different people have dirrerent results. Try cutting them off asap and if that doesn't work out, let one flower bloom and take out the rest.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I cut mine off after I've pollinated them and they have set seed. I cut them off to harvest the seed. I love seed.

For total candor: When I was still quite young (early teen) VFTs were the first CP I became aware of and attempted to cultivate. When I was a newbie at CP, many VFTs did not survive my care. In fact, I often wondered if I would ever be able to keep one alive for more than a few months. These days, other than spider mites, ($%^&* bless their souls) I rarely have any trouble with VFTs at all. I now consider them one of the easiest, least demanding of CP. Even when I've done something disastrous culture wise, I have learned what works to restore their health. So, for those of you having difficulty with VFTs, don't despair, it gets easier with patience and practice.

However, I never did cut off the flowers until they were seed except to see if it made a difference as I was told it would. For me --- it made no difference. I still lost most of the VFTs I attempted to cultivate, with or without flowers. I figured that with flowers I at least had the opportunity to produce seed and attempt growing replacement plants that way. And I believe my VFT care skills improved with the experience of germinating the seed and growing plants from seed to maturity. Once I had accomplished this feat, successfully cultivating VFTs became a great deal easier.</span>

Back