What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT in various climates?

Greetings all,

I recently ordered a VFT, and am wondering how it would fare in various climates. The climates I'm interested in are as follows:

* Fort Lewis, WA (Cold, rainy, etc.)
* Fort Irwin, CA (Hot, dry, etc.)
* Balad, Iraq (Extremely hot, dusty, dry.)

See http://www.wunderground.com/ for more climate information.

Yes, the plant would be protected from the extreme direct sunlight and most of the extreme heat, and would be watered daily as necessary. I'm just wondering if the plant can adapt to such climates.

VFTs should do just fine in all those locations, assuming they are kept in the correct soil (sphagnum peat etc) and well watered with pure (clean rain, distilled, or deionized water). They should not be put in the direct desert sun to bake in a small container. Under harsh climates, shade cloth and a larger pot can buffer temperature extremes.

heypete,

I live very close to Ft. Lewis, and yes, as Bobz pointed out, VFT's do well here year around.  I put mine outside in August and then bring it inside in my terrarium in February, so its a nice spring for the plant, unlike what we usually experience ourselves.

-Homer

Just fine in all three. You would have to bring it in for winter for all three because two are too hot and one is too cold, but otherwise they should adapt well to all of them. Although, the desert local may warent a windowcill over outdoors growth unless you are nere a shaded area with lots of other plants.

HeyPete, welcome to the forum. I live very close to Ft. Lewis. The weather in Western Washington is just fine for Venus Flytraps. I grow them outdoors year-round. For the winter, I plant the pot into the ground to insulate it a bit from cold, cold weather. If it ever gets really cold for a long period of time (as in many days where the high never reaches above freezing) you can add many inches of newspaper to insulate from any cold, drying wind. But how often do we see that type of weather. I have been growing VFT's outdoors for four years now. Never lost a one. Enjoy.

Back