What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea muscipula 'Green Dragon'

Now I know many of you grow this plant but does anyone know exactly how this plant came to cultivation ? I heard that the plant was a hybrid between the the common vft and the red dragon vft http://exoticgardens.zoovy.com/product/GREENDRAGONFLYTRAP but from but from another website http://hometown.aol.com/lulibybb/vftm.html it says it was a natural mutation that occured in tissue culture that was later isolated , so what really happen to get this plant into cultivation , I'll go with the mutation in tc theory .

Thank you Allan , that helped , so for those people who have been fed with the wrong information that this plant was a hybrid between the common vft and the akai ryu ( red dragon ) then the information here clearly staes that it was not and it was a mutation that occured in TC .
smile.gif

Also I think that PFT should change the info given about this plant
rock.gif

Isn't PFT the place that origenally registerd this cultivar? Well, whatever, 'Red Dragons' can be bred and aren't a single genetic clone to begin with, that is to say, seed from the plants often also fit the standard for the name 'Red Dragon'. It's entirely possible that the tissue culture was from seed, not a mature plant so both interpretations may be true... Not to mention, since it isn't a registerd Cultivar, and more then one nursery clames ownership to it, there are probubly more then one plant out there that fits the description... Not to mention if what that site says is true, then the green dragon is really just a healthier 'red dragon' because, at least the ones from PFT, will turn totally red in proper lighting.

Ya the green dragon will turn totally red in very strong light. It may take a little longer and the plant is obviously stronger than red dragons.

Side note...

Green Dragon is not a registered cultivar

Well that's one someone definitely needs to register!  Does anybody know in whose culture it emerged, and why they haven't done anything about it?

SF

yah your right , my green dragon turns dark maroon red without a trace of green during the summer months so maybe there different interpretations of this plant .

Back