What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curled leaves with sandpaper texture

Hello,
i have a problem with 2 of my vft's it seems to be that recently they have began to grow new leaves curled and of a fine sandpaper texture the leaves don't make it to maturity they die from the tip down at about 1 inch in size. any ideals on a reason why this might be happening. i use a 48" full spectrum grow light suspended over head approx 16 inches from the plants and a 48' cool White florescent approx 22 inches over head. they are in a 3 gallon round terrarium with a mixture fro petflytrap.com i believe 60/40 peat/perennialite i have 2 terrariums and one has 8 plant's in it it seems fine yet this one with 2 both plants seem to be suffering this. there approximately 1 year old in there growing conditions and I'm using shop-rite bottled spring watter sodium free. there just recently out of winter dormancy also the leaves die off drown not black and thats different than in my other terrarium they die off black. 1 other thing i noticed is the tubing leading out of the tropicare humidity system that i use to keep them humid is stained with a whitish pattern the tube with air leading into it is unstained, any one with any info on possible cause for this problem with leaves curling an dieing would be most helpful.
thx for reading.

I may be wrong on this, but your plants could be too humid. The missing ingredient is good ventilation. Optimum conditions(like outdoors) is intense sunlight,humidity and plenty of air circulation.

ok i will try and increase air sirculation and hope that does the trick

It sounds like the plants are a little bit far from the lights to me.

Right now I have many VFTs ( younger plants & recent acquisitions ) growing under lights. The distance from the soil line to the bulbs is 8 inches, and the lights are on 17 hours a day. They are doing pretty well and even get the nice red coloration inside the traps. So, you may want to raise up the terrarium on a box or something and see if it helps.

WildBill

Back