What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus Flytrap Flowering

Hi,
I'm staying in Singapore a tropical country which is hot 30C(86 F) and seasonally rainny,
Recently, one of my VFT decided to flower. I decided to let it continue doing so despite reading stuff from many sources claiming that it will die after the flowering stage. I am aware of the potential risks, but decided to go ahead since I have many other spare VFT.
Now, it is more than 3 months after its flowers have since withered. And much to my surprise, not only has my VFT survived, it is growing just as vigorous as before.
Has anyone had such a similar experience?
120555251wwGeEg_ph.jpg

120181192nlSgNw_ph.jpg

more photos on my photo page

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vistary @ Feb. 23 2004,11:31)]Hi,
I'm staying in Singapore a tropical country which is hot 30C(86 F) and seasonally rainny,
Recently, one of my VFT decided to flower. I decided to let it continue doing so despite reading stuff from many sources claiming that it will die after the flowering stage. I am aware of the potential risks, but decided to go ahead since I have many other spare VFT.
Now, it is more than 3 months after its flowers have since withered. And much to my surprise, not only has my VFT survived, it is growing just as vigorous as before.
Has anyone had such a similar experience?
120555251wwGeEg_ph.jpg

120181192nlSgNw_ph.jpg

more photos on my photo page
Yah, it's called a healthy individual with good stores of energy.  It's only flowering in combination with other stresses that causes health problems in a plant.  They usually won't gain in size as much as they would have without flowering, but in a healthy plant thats had many good seasons to make a store of energy, the energy loss from flowering will be a small fraction of it's overall stores.  The only plants I've seen with real issues from flowering that seemed healthy before hand have had very small root systems and were young tissue culture plants that thought they were older then they really were. That and plants who flower directly before going dorment. Those sometimes don't have enough stores for winter after that.

Back