What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazing

I think this is the first time I've seen a greenhouse use a picture of an average filterd full sun grown 'Aki Ryu' (red dragon) as it's advertising image, and they even note it's smaller growth pattern in the plant description.  How totally refreshing is that?  I just get sick of all the pictures of plants that look more like the newer 'green dragons' when you know they are selling the smaller reds.  As most people who have grown this varrient know, they are not easilly made to grow purely red and usually end up looking more well, like this
smile.gif
 I was just impressed since the pictures I usually see show individuals in perfect condition when all live plants I've ever seen have been more greenish... although mine is actually a little redder then the one they show
smile.gif

EDIT: Changed link to image
http://www.agristarts3.com/vftred.jpg

LOL what am I saying?  Here I am trying to describe what real true blue RD actually look like and my ******* avatar is a composit drawing of one I made from hundreds of photoes and my own plant, LOL.  This link is okay right?  PFT doesn't sell RD anymore so I figured it was okay.

I have three RD vfts and I have never had a hard time getting them to turn completely red. Size is also as good as my GD. Although I did get them from PFT. Maybe I was lucky.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nightbreed @ Feb. 26 2004,19:23)]I have three RD vfts and I have never had a hard time getting them to turn completely red.  Size is also as good as my GD.  Although I did get them from PFT.  Maybe I was lucky.  
biggrin.gif
I have a Red Dragon from PFT too and it fits the standard modle a bit better. Honestly, I sometimes wonder if they had some greens and reds get mixed up or if they have some secret master ablity to give everyone but me a Red Dragon that acts like a typical other then color... of course, green dragons are a mutant red dragon with healthier growth patterns and the defining factors for the varients are identical so I suppose they could still be called red dragons er uh, dang it I'm confused now. However, regardless of why some act so different from others, by and large the majority of red dragons out there don't show normal growth in normal conditions, but require some special care to bring out the color and good growth. I'm sure media plays a big role in color as well since it does in typicals. It may also be an issue of age. Regardless, it takes a varitable supernova to bring out the red in conparison to other all red vfts, I don't think anyone would argue with that... they also dislike wet feet without the extra light.

since I got my "green dragon" I put it in full natural light(it grows 1 inch from a window) and now it looks mostly like a red dragon.....there are hints of green here and there, but many of the newest growth are solid red.....
laugh.gif
....quite cool

Looks like a highly colored "typical" to me!
biggrin.gif

I have Red Dragon and it is very red...
Here is a photo of it in my mini bog last year.

red_dragon-3.jpg

Over it's winter dormancy it stayed outside and now that the temps are warming back up and new traps are being produced in the shade, I will admit they are much greener. All it will take is a couple weeks back in the warm sun and the red will return.

Cheers,
Sean

Wanna see red? This is when I bought it from a most excellent grower who had it 3" under lights. Think it looks like this now? Nope. But it's still a wonderful plant.

reddragon.jpg

I bought 6 'Red Dragons' from Northwest sarracenia and even through dormancy
they looked like the ones is Sean's ponds post.There out of dormancy now,and all the new traps are STILL dark red! May have something to do with the Texas sun.Although they were raised in Portland,Oregon and maintained the deep redness.THANKS MR. Dallas

I have one red dragon, and one typical. the red dragon is small, but nice. heres a giant image, sorry I didn't get to resize the pic. http://www.geocities.com/drmingen/IMG_1559.JPG
only had it since january or so...
Oh, the link doesn't work, being a geocities picture, but just copy and paste the url

Wow! stunning!(my new favorite word lol.):)

droseradude, nice pic. One trick with geocites is to place the jpg on a simple html page. A link to the html page seems to usually work.

Back