What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dingley 's Giant

Flytrap1.JPG

Flytrap2.JPG

Dingley's Giant-The plant didn't get affected by the Sou Cali dormancy, but it has revert to a rosette instead of the long semi erect petioles. Pretty red traps for winter sun
laugh.gif

Yes this is the same one as this one last summer:
VFT.jpg

Great plant Pho as always with your vfts . Where did you get this plant from ? I'd like to put it on my wishlist
smile.gif

Nice VFT!  Looks like I need to put Dingley's Giant on my want list.

Hope you get it house broken soon
smile_m_32.gif
! (The paper towels under it)

smile.gif

BCK

Wow, nice plant uglypho, mine still haven't come out of dormancy yet, and I keep them outdoors in socal.

Uglypho, I'm going to use you pic as a visual aid for a speach if thats ok with you.....I am going to credit you with the photo as well.

Oh slyfi of course you may!
biggrin.gif

I don't have the dingly giant, but I do have a few Low Giants, which have just come out of dormancu with 1.5 inch traps and getting large....

Also, my rare "Southwest Giant" seeds have now hatched...so I'm expecting those giants to be...uh...giant...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, my rare "Southwest Giant" seeds have now hatched...so I'm expecting those giants to be...uh...giant..
A more likely result is that most of the "Southwest Giant" seedlings will look like "typical" VFTs, with perhaps a few retaining unique characteristics similar to the parent. Remember, seedlings from clones should not be named the same as the clone. If your "Southwest Giant" seeds are from selfed breeding, they should be referred to as "Southwest Giant" F2.

HHmmm now that South West Giant is a really rare wonder. All I could thick about your SWG is "how did that plant linger to the US." Its a giant of the UK. Its got extremely long erect leaves with huge traps that don't turn all red, but sometimes does. Give Alistair Pearce the credit of the SWG. Low giants are pretty unique too. Large traps short petioles. I'll post a pic of my Bigmouth soon. Yes it has some intense colors and large traps on short petioles-really cool!!!!!

Yes, it is strange how those UK seeds got to me here in the US... *wink*wink*...
wink.gif

I heard that they have short leaves and large traps...My low giant, on the other hand is getting short, WIDE leaves which are low to the ground and the traps are getting bigger and bigger in imense jumps.

No the South West giant has got really long erect petioles.

You could have a cultivar of slack named "slack's giant" or the "G16" (more proper term from Graham Sadd) which grows ground rosettes and huge red traps.

They are both beautiful varieties and are hard to sought after in the US.

Bobz is correct. South West Giant can only be called that if it was tissue cultured, divided, or propagated from leaf cuttings. South West Giant is a strong upright growing plant with slightly pinkish traps. It was coined by Alistair Pearce, so Uglypho is correct too. Please don't call it South West Giant unless you do what Bobz suggested, otherwise, it will add to further VFT id confusion.

Uglypho, I didn't know if you knew this or not, but, it is called
Dingley Giant and not Dingley's Giant. Dingley is a suburb of Australia and not the name of a person. Dingley Gardens was a nusery there where the plant originated. Later Dingley Gardens became Triffid Park.

Sorry to be so anal, but I correct myself here by saying the nursery was named Dingley Home and Garden and not Dingley Garden.

Yes zappafan, I'm am very much aware that Dingley is a suburb of Australia. I should know that from hanging around on Triffid Park's website so often. I still don't truthfully know the correct name, and I think the rightfull person to settle the dispute would be Collin Clayton. And I also don't know if the plant is even a true Giant. However it's a vigorous plant with red traps.

Triffid Park do tend to churn out new Dionaea! There's Big Mouth (a.k.a. Red Purple), Dingley Giant and Dingley Clone (almost all green) to name just a few. Does anyone know the difference between Big Mouth and Dingley Giant by the way? My Big Mouth looks very similar to the plant this thread is about.

The dingley in my picture is just in spring growth not summer. Dingley's is no clumper. It produces long petioles in the summer that tend to stay off the ground but not completely erect. It also produces a brilliant red in the interiors. The Big Mouth (if it's the real type in the first place) should produce really short petioles and HUGE traps year round with a very intense color in the traps.(around the lines of a Dirk Ventham's Giant.) Often the plant results in some dense clumps and rosettes that pile on each other. The "Bigmouth" was selsected for commercial appeal and endurance. The plant is one of the best commercial plants out there. Prob. the ones used in TC for mass production by Triffid Park, Collecter's Corners, Paradisia, and bestcarnivorous plants.

Back