What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus Flytrap

Got mine at 25 or 26 from good 'ol Home Depot
biggrin.gif
It was my 2nd cp, and its still alive
laugh.gif

Hmmm... I was... I was... I was ten... my mom gave me one for my birthday... it has since died from root rot though... STUPID Lowe's square plastic pots with no drainage holes!!!!!!

Got mine at age 12 or 13, still have, almost killed it though

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkskoastalkarnivores @ Mar. 09 2004,18:50)]I got mine at age 2, Of course, I killed it
Age 2! How could you water it? hehehehe
wink.gif

11 or 12, it was a typical. Lived quite well untill it went dorment, my Mom pronounced it dieing and happly got rid of it. She hated plants back then, never would have guessed she would tolerate my big collection now
smile.gif
The next one had crown rot when I got it. The next got hard water from "helpfull" familly member for about 3 months before it croked and I had no idea why. And then finally, #4 came along about 5 years ago and that would have made me about 15 or 16 and it is still with me today
smile.gif
It's also why I have about 30 other plants now too
smile.gif

I got my first(and only) one in September. I had always had an interest in these plants, and luckily I found Barrys site before actually discovering them in Home Depot(lets say I was bored and on the fish forums, and went to google.com and typed in...). This plant is either a green type, or a typical which hasn't yet gotten enough lighting. I woke it up about a week after Valentines day(brought it inside) and its been on the windowsill since then.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ Mar. 11 2004,04:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkskoastalkarnivores @ Mar. 09 2004,18:50)]I got mine at age 2, Of course, I killed it
Age 2! How could you water it? hehehehe  
wink.gif
I'm gonna keep that my little secret
laugh.gif

Always found it hard without the internet.

Last edited:
I got one when I was 8/9. It was just a typical one too. My aunt gave my it and it died because I wasnt educated in CP. Now that I am, my CPs arent dying anymore!
smile.gif
smilie4.gif

Over the years I have occasionally picked up VFTs from the zoo or elsewhere, but they were usually weak and died fairly quickly (well, I didn't do as much research on raising them as I should have either).
Now I'm 37 and so I have the excuse of buying them for my 2 yr old daughter, who, of course, never looks at them unless I am, which is quite often (it's so fun seeing them close on a bug!). I just picked up a red dragon, dente and common about a week ago and they all look healthy as of now. I think the California weather is similar to their native habitat, except perhaps a bit less humid, so I hope I can keep them alive for many years to come.

Here we go:
I got my first one when I was 6/7, it died.....
Next one at 9/10, it died......
Next one at 10/11, it died.......
One last December, its still alive!!

I got mine last year when I was 11, I got it from a franks nursery. I immediatly looked stuff up on it and found this place and buch of other sites. I kept it alive, and it flourished too, but when dormany came around I soaked the plant with fungecide and threw him in my garage. I think it might have been the cold, The next one i get im gonna throw in the fridge. Right now I have no plants but i plan to make a large order soon
smile.gif

i jus got mine mid june 2004 ive always had an interest in vft now that i work, i can own one, and 4 others! my dad said its a waste of money, he's a gardener too, he spends 1/3 of the day in the backyard, u should see our back yard,

how do u post pix?

i own vft regular, nepenthes --(no clue wat kind it is, ill post pix if i could), pitcher-S.purpurea, and drosera hybrid. im learning so much about it! and i dont even kno how to PRONOUNCE the names so so hard,

i call the nepenthes, "The floating Toilet"

and my dad thoght the pitcher was a letice LOL:p
mad.gif
confused.gif

I got my first one when I was about 10/12 years old. Somewhere in there......I was so fascinated with it, checked a book out of the library and everything. Then.....a few weeks later, I put it down in our enclosed deck since the humidity and sunlight was higher....then I forgot about it! I think I finally remembered to check on it several months later. Needless to say, it died down there. Then I ordered another from this site. And made a few mistakes caring for it, and lost that one too. Then.....I ordered a couple more from here last summer, and one of them died, but the other one is doing well now. Since I have joined this forum, they have been much happier
biggrin.gif
I don't expect to lose any more!
smile_n_32.gif

*ahem* At 16 I just ordered my first two from this site! Ive always wanted one and **hopefully** I'll have taken enough notes and all to know what to do! (i just hope I dont over-care for it!)

i got one two weeks ago and im 12 so im new but i havent killed it [yet]

I got my first 3 vft's from lowes when i was about 14. They're still alive and happily growing in my mini-bogs
smile.gif

i started growing CPs this year, after i bought 2 VFT and a nep ventrata at the philly flower show. ever since, i was hooked on CPs and i joined this forum for help. i have a small but growing collection with help from ppl on this forum
biggrin.gif

Hellz

I was about ten I would say...my dad got it for me at a local nursery. didn't know then you were suppose to water them.

Back