What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus Flytrap

How old were you when you got your first
venus flytrap and what type was it?
smile.gif

i was 25. it was just a common that i bought at the local greenhouse. i just wanted to make sure that i could keep it alive before i bought a dente from exotic gardens!

technoracer

I was ~10 years old. Didn't last a season under my care. Killed three more over the next thirty tears and vowed never more - until last June - when I just couldn't pass it up. I just woke it from dormancy.

24 or 25 for me. i think.. Oh, man. i just had a mental block. I thought I was still 24, but now that I think about it, I will be 26 this month.

I was about 11 or 12 , bought my first vft which was a common from my local nursery , i don't think i ever actually killed one , usally returned the plant before i killed it for another . My mistake was over caring for them .

I was 5 years old and of-course it was just a typical flytrap and i still remebering getting it too it was at k-mart with my grandma. Im going on my 13th year in May of growing its also my b day im sending it at California Carnivores! i cant wait
wink.gif

:::::: ELECTRIC CARNIVOES :::::::::

I was about 8 and only kept it alive for about 10 days. Little did I know 19 years later I would be even of interested in these great plants!

Travis

I'm a late bloomer. I didn't get my first VFT until I was thirty something. I found them sitting on a shelf in Wal Mart and picked out the best looking two they had. Killed them with tap water of course and had to wait a couple years before I found them in Wal Mart again. Decided to try watering them with distilled water and have been growing strong ever since.
cool.gif

smile.gif

BCK

I was 5 or 6 ,it was a common,my dad got it for me from sears because I got an A on my report card.
It lived for 2 years until we moved to OK.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Mar. 03 2004,23:15)]Decided to try watering them with distilled water and have been growing strong ever since.
How did you learn so quick? Took me about 18 years to figure out that vfts needed distilled water.
wink.gif
You may be a late bloomer but a quick learner...
biggrin.gif

Travis

I was 30, got my first plants from here, so I had good care instructions when I started and have not killed them yet. The only flytrap I've ever had die was a typical I got from a local nursery that didnt take good gare of them. And a dente that I got at Home Depot that I'm still not sure why it died.
rock.gif

Steve

I was 18 and a forestry student at Univ California, Berkeley. I still have the same plants (more accurately, divisions from them) 49 years later.

20.. got it last week.

I got my first when I was about 7 I got it as a bday present for my friend but ended up keeping it and getting him a Luke Skywalker action figure....

I only was able to keep it alive for about a year....:laugh:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Mar. 07 2004,11:21)]I only was able to keep it alive for about a year....:laugh:
Flip side,
That's a lot longer than most of us (as newbies) kept our plants alive!

smile.gif

BCK

Welcome to the forums, Forax, and welcome to the exciting world of growing carnivorous plants (and keeping them alive)
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

I got my first VFT when six months ago, when I was 14, and it didn't last four months uder my care (which is still pretty good, I should say)
biggrin.gif
I bought it cheaply ('bout US$5) from the night market, or Pasar Malam in Malaysia. Its last few leaves were narrow, the traps were small, and the whole leaf, including the traps were rising up into the air like what you all call "summer leaves" (I'm get confused cuz there is only one season; summer, in Singapore
biggrin.gif
)

Then a month ago I got my second VFT from a local dealer, Tan Hong Yee for the same price (the traps were huge), but now..THEY"RE GETTING SMALLER! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
wink.gif
I think I might have damged the roots while repotting...or maybe because its in a bigger pot now its producing smaller leaves/traps or something else. My parents didn't help me but they got a little interested thremselves, assking me why I had to do this and that...

Well, I'm determined not to let it out of my grasp this time!
Still, any help would be useful indeed.

Thanks,
Jason

Its a good thing water in Singapore is sooooo pure...my mother won't allow me to buy a water distiller (Cost: SG$349) (Hey its still expensive for me cuz I'm still a teenager) and I have to use a filter instead. Still, it eliminates chlorine, which is a good thing, right?
biggrin.gif
) VFT's roots are too sensitive for my liking...did I mention that my VFT (both) were typicals? I didn't think so. Oh well, I guess I just have to use that then...what else can I do? Still, I don't think that low mineral content (50ppm or lower) would do much harm to my VFTs...or any other carnivorous plants I have now.
smile.gif

Jason

Back