What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st VFT

I recently got my first fly trap from pft.  Little did I know they are in the same city (Austin, TX) as I am.  Do they have an actual store where I could've picked it up to avoid shipping or is it strictly an internet company?  Anyways, I had my plant in a Northern facing window, because that is the only window I have.  I don't think it is getting enough light so I've switched it over to a 15W helical compact flourescent light.  Is this adequate?  My brother runs an aquarium maintenance business, so I have access to deionized RO water.  The only other thing I'm concerned about is humidity.. will this plant probably be ok just sitting in my room or do I need an enclosure/apparatus for it?

You might consider raising the humidity a bit, but I'm sure some people will say the humidity is ok there. I don't live in Texas so I wouldn't know.

any idea that the humidity is there? remember that if you are using the tray method for watering, the humidity will be higher around your plant. in my experience, vft's aren't as picky about humidity as some plants.
another thing i would consider is to move the plant outdoors if possible. all of my cp's grow better with natural sunlight compared to artificial lighting. since you are in texas, i would have to guess that direct sund from sunrise to 12 noon would be good, and not bo so strong that you would cook the plant. my plants get direct sun from about 10am till 7pm in summer (in ohio) and love it!

can any other texas growers comment on the lighting issues?

good luck, and welcome to the forums! you will find tons of useful info here, and meet hundreds of other people with the same hobby as you.

happy growing!
technoracer

Back