What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Just got home from working at the Depot. At lunch I checked out the greenhouse to see if they've brought it any CP's. turns out they did. They had a batch of VFT's, Drosera spatulata, and flowering Pinguicula primuliflora. I overheard a dad talking to his 10ish son, while holding a VFT. He said he was checking to see if the plant was alive, by poking a narrow object into one of its traps. He then proceeded to tell his kid that he could feed it some bugs and pieces of meat.

Also, convinced one of the senior garden people to purchase a gallon of distilled water; sit the pots in an open tray fashion; and get them under lights and / or at the greenhouse window.

Ignoramuses!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Tell 'em how to do it right, Jimscott!

SF

I thought about it, but I chickened out. Hate to ruin those father and son moments. He was being SOOOOOOO gentle and informative, though misguided. Hey, maybe they/I could set up one of those workshop thingys for the care and maintenance of CP's. Gotta be more informative than those far too general instructions on/in the plastic pot. The least those things could say is to NO use tap water, but instead distilled. That alone probably accounts for most of their deaths.

I've been in the same situation. I have corrected (however gently) people's misconstrued thoughts. I haven't had any luck getting the folks at lowe's to put the cps in water. They just generally don't care, they did get the orchids in water though. I don't mind that much, I do get all the plants for like a dollar (altho it takes time to get them back to health).

Yeah, the dews look very sad, and the cup doesn't seem to hold in enough humidity...perhaps the hole is too big. Perhaps someoen could email Gublers concerning packing....when they arrive, they look like some kind of roadside weed!(if they havent died already). Any plant with a damp pot is lucky, most are bone dry. One was even buried in the sphagnum! The dew I purchased was potted quite nicely.

I wish the companies that distribute the pots and instructions (Botanical Wonders & Little Pot Of Horrors) would be a little more informative. they REALLY need to specify not using tap water and then suggest distilled water. a mention of open tray method would be great, too. they don't even tell you what you have beyond "Drosera species" or Sundew. Like, duh, I know it's a sundew or butterwort or tropical pitcher plant. Why does Botanical Wonders combine a VFT, P. primuliflora, and Cobra Lily? You couldn't get much further apart in cultivating and dormancy requirements. That's a set up for failure. However, if it weren't for the "Drosera Species" on the pot, I wouldn't have done the exhausive internet and book search to determine what they sold me - and I wouldn't have stumbled onto the Forums.

lol jim, I hear ya. I purchased a "little pot of horrors" plant collection...
:sigh:
The plants were OK to be together. A S.rubra or something like that (still a little young to tell), a D.capillaris or spatulata, and a P. primuliflora. However, I still don't know if my Drosera is D.capillaris or spatulata... grr.
See, that is something that REALLY irritates me with regard to these large commercial plant vendors. I mean, come on, it isn't too hard to include a Genus/Species with your plant in fine print. Should they not KNOW what they are growing? Especially these Nepenthes hybrids that are going around. How can these nurseries simply sell these plants and have NO IDEA what the plants are? Have they no concept of the problem of confusing plant hybrid id'ing?!
I would think that accurate plant id'ing is a requirement... or something. If these places have the resources to TC massive crops of plants, I think they can spend five minutes on the internet and verify the identity of the plant in question BEFORE they screw over everyone who purchases the plant.

On a different note:

I think every CP I have ever purchased from a garden center has had sufficient care info (except for my most recent purchases). The care info on the pots of my first CP's stated the importance of key points like using pure water, humidity and not feeding the plants fatty food (hamburger) amongst other things. These plants were all purchased from large garden centers. I have never seen any Home Depots in my area selling CP's. There are no Lowes in Minnesota to my knowledge, and according to the Lowes website.

Actually, it is pretty funny that, to my experience, the only time to buy CP's in garden centers in Minnesota is in the middle of winter. Maybe it's because, in the absence of marigolds and other flowery thingies, people can't think of anything better to put on the shelves besides some mangy CP's.
The particular labels that I am thinking of showed a picture of some very red S.purpurea flanked by some hungry-looking VFT's. The picture said "Carnivorous plant" on the top and "Pitcher plant" on the bottom... I think. I save all of the labels on the plants that I buy, but I'm not at my house right now so I am unable to look. I remember that my first VFT's label was a "Terrarium of Terror" label. The care info was all written in a juvenille first-person from the VFT's perspective.

Recently I purchased a "little pot of horrors" collection. The care info on that was OK -enough to keep the plants alive for a while.
What I am saying is that it's not like to do not BELIVE you guys when you say that the care info on Lowes' CP's left a lot to be desired. However, there are a few companies who actually try.

Woops.. lmao I had a whole post describing the difference between spat and capensis... I need to read more carefully next time..
wink.gif

Steve

lol SF.. saw that as SOON as I posted it.. lmao

woops
tounge.gif

Steve

Back