What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT + dormancy + flower

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Can a VFT that went through a successful three month dormancy produce a flower an yet live or does it need to go outside first and do the real photosynthesis thing in order to survive?

Jim,
As long as the plant itself is healthy and receives plenty of light, it should be fine. My Green Dragon VFT is doing what you described; 3 month dormancy and flowered upon waking up. So far it's doing fine (no signs of stress yet) and it looks like I might get some seed. Time will tell.

smile.gif

BCK

With mine, it started to send up a flower right when dormancy started, Luckily, I fooled it into thinking it was summer (That's an advantedge of Folida : ) The plant died shortly after, but it did send up a full flower

After dormencey is what you want because it gives the plant all summer to rebuild it's reserves for next winter. If it flowers late in the year, it might not have enough stores to make it through the next dormancey, thats how people usually loose them.

Mine has 2 flower stalks that will be opening soon! I plan on pollinateing the flowers for seed anybody know if tradeing pollen through the mail is a good idea and if so does anybody have pollen,preferably of a red clone?

I noticed that most of my VFT flowers after I take them out of my fridge. I guess this is quite normal and I normally wait another 9 months or so befor putting it in the fridge again.

Back