What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ack!... it's flowering

Ok... here's the situation:

I just purchased VFT 'typical' 2 months ago and it's now flowering. I didn't put it into dormancy and it's origin is from Gublers (most likely tissue culture) nor can I tell it's history.

As there have been discussions of VFTs surviving after flowering, I'm not sure now if I should cut the stalk or not?

What do you guys think?

I'd say let it flower. all the vfts i have ever flowered survived, just made little traps for around 2-3 months
cool.gif

The questions for you: are you interested in producing seed or do you simply enjoy watching a plant flower? If the answer is no, then cut off the flower stalk and let the energy go into producing traps rather than flowers. If the answer is yes, then leave it and enjoy. In either case, the plant will do just fine -- unless you kill it some other way.

If you just purchased it and it hasn't gone through dormancy, I'd say not to let it flower. Mine (freshly purchased) did that last year and did not have enough energy to complete the stalk.

Its up to you though. Seeds are nice!

SF

Cut cut Cut!!!
there is no reason to let it flower, unless you REALLY want seed..
and growing VFTs from seed is seriously over-rated anyway..
I have let some of my VFTs flower, and some HAVE died!
while all the ones that didnt flower lived..
yes they might not die if you let them flower..but they also might.
IMO its just not worth it..the flowers arent that exciting, and growing from seed is a pain IMO..

I say: always cut..

scot

Growing Vft seeds aren't a pain! In a couple years with good care you'll have so many healthy "Mini" growing Venus Flytraps you wont know what to do with them!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Mar. 18 2004,14:47)]Growing Vft seeds aren't a pain!  In a couple years with good care you'll have so many healthy "Mini" growing Venus Flytraps you wont know what to do with them!
Minni is an understatement, lol ;) They make a good investment though
smile.gif

This is my only 'typical' and they're pretty hard to get up here ('Dentate's are more readily available). This one that I purchased showed up at the store "by accident" with a shipment of other plants.

Has anybody ever tried cutting the flower and placing it in the some water? I don't necessarily want the seeds, I just want to show the flower to my wife.
smile.gif

Thats strange as dentates are a rather rare plant.

I think the company that distributes vft's here in Ontario tissue culture their dentate. They all have the short "teeth" vs. the long "teeth" of Typical.

I got a vft once and it started to flower so I took the advice of many of the people on this forum however it just cept shooting up more flower stockswich drain the plant even more so I finally after cutting like 3 stocks i let it flower and it slowed down a bit but it was absolutely fine

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cchang @ Mar. 19 2004,06:38)]This is my only 'typical' and they're pretty hard to get up here

I don't necessarily want the seeds, I just want to show the flower to my wife.

If their hard to get you may want to snip. If you let it get big enough to flower it, and put it in a vase the damage is already done. Might as well get some seeds in the process

Back