What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

in 1 flower stalk i got about 9 buds

I'm pretty sure that's it's around 20-30 seeds per flower for a healthy venus flytrap.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Mar. 27 2004,12:20)]I'm pretty sure that's it's around 20-30 seeds per flower for a healthy venus flytrap.
so if i got 1 flower stalk with 9 buds i can get UP TO 30X9 !
rock.gif
??
wow.gif

Yup that's how it goes. Some pros even score 500 seeds per plant.
cool.gif

you must be kidding......... that means i can have thousands of these in 10 years.

woooooooow
smile.gif

lots of people will be receiving seeds then
smile.gif

Just remember to keep it legal,don`t ship to a foreign country unless you know for sure its legal.

....I hate to be a downer, but 1) don't forget to pollinate the flowers, they don't self well on their own and 2) the 20 seeds is for crossing with a different gentic VFT. If you self it it's more like 5 seeds each... But that is still a lot
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darcie @ April 01 2004,3:06)]....I hate to be a downer, but 1) don't forget to pollinate the flowers, they don't self well on their own and 2) the 20 seeds is for crossing with a different gentic VFT. If you self it it's more like 5 seeds each... But that is still a lot
biggrin.gif
is this your a[pril fools joke ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the 20 seeds is for crossing with a different gentic VFT. If you self it it's more like 5 seeds each
Whether a joke or not, I think it is incorrect. I have never noticed a difference in seed numbers whether selfed or with a different VFT. The key is in the timing of pollination when both the pollen is ready and the stigma is receptive. Sometimes when selfing using flowers on a single stalk, the timing may simply not be optimum for maximum seed production; whereas, the more flowers that are available, the more likely to find flowers in just the right condition.

I just got about 16 seeds per bud and thats not crosing them at all. I cant wait to cross them and go for 500

wow...
that must have an exhausting effect on the plant...
but then again, 500 VFT's would be nice
biggrin.gif

What would I get if I pollinated my typical VFT with my Dente?

Thanks. What I ment was would I get Dente seed or typical seed

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What I ment was would I get Dente seed or typical seed
That depends on the genetics of both parents. In simple genetics, if the expression of the dentate cilia was responsible to a single recessive gene (call it "d") and you needed (d x d) in the offspring to get a Dente, then if that gene was lacking in the typical parent, you would never get any Dente offspring from that breeding. If, however, Dente showed with a single "d", the probability of getting a Dente again depends on the genetics of the parents. In reality, the genetic combination needed to get dentate cilia is not known, and, the genetics of the parents are not known, so the answer to your question would only come from trying the experiment and counting the number of Dente-like offspring. If you did breeding again with a different typical parent, you would probably get different results.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fre8train @ April 27 2004,8:13)]a typical dente
Luv that answer! LOL!

flowers all turning black, need help on how to get the sseeds i mean the steps are 1/3 of the weay down black 2? wil there be seeds ?!

Back