What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Know Of This Plant?

Does anyone know if this trap called Dionaea XL Clone? I got it from the UK in seed for and it's sprouted. Any info or pics would be apreciated. It's hard to tell what it's going to look like b/c it's just the two first leaves right now, no traps yet.

The plant is a muture typical VFT. XL=extra large VFT. And I mean that the site means its just an adult VFT. XL VFT should not be mistaken for a whole new variety.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]XL VFT should not be mistaken for a whole new variety
This is especially true if a plant having particular characteristics is distributed as seed. Seedlings are unlikely to retain the special properties notable in the parent(s). That is why clones must only be reproduced asexually.

OHHHH!!! Interesting..... I never knew that about clones only have to be reproduced asexually...
But what about leaf cuttings? Will that retain the characteristics?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But what about leaf cuttings? Will that retain the characteristics?
Asexual means "independent of sexual processes, esp. not involving the union of male and female germ cells."
Leaf cuttings are a method asexual reproduction, as is dividing the rhizome, tissue culture, etc.

jon,

Loved Starship Troopers! Congrats on getting the role. We'll probably go see it day one as a company (being a computer game company, we go see imortant movies like this for inspiration.)

Incidentally, I have a vft question: I understand that if I have, say, a green dragon vft, and get seeds, that the offspring will not necessarily be green dragons, but just typical vfts. Is there a greater chance of green dragons, though?

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Mar. 31 2004,4:45)]jon,

Loved Starship Troopers! Congrats on getting the role. We'll probably go see it day one as a company (being a computer game company, we go see imortant movies like this for inspiration.)
Thank you, this sequal is really good, even tho it's direct to DVD. The opening sequance alone is INSANE! The shotting of it was a major pain in the trap...errr...butt... cold, dark, and had a huge wind fan throwing sand and wood chips at us at 6 miles an hour...

AFAIK, "Green Dragon" is not a registered cultivar and hence there is no formal description of the plant and its' distinguishing characteristics. Without a published description, how would one know the difference between a "Green Dragon" and a 'Red Dragon'. The only way to assure that plants being discussed are identical is to know that you have a genetic copy (clone) of the original plant.

For a good discussion about cultivars, see
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/cultivarsmain.html
and also read the descriptions at
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/diocult.html

Back