What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

?Traps still work after dormancy

schloaty

Staff member
Hi Guys,
I saw something last night which really surprised me. I was repotting my VFT's that are just coming out of dormancy (now, mind, OUTSIDE IN NY dormancy...under mulch and a lot of snow. This was a DEEP dormnacy.) and I tripped a trap....It snapped shut like lighting! This trap is from last year....Can this be??
wow.gif
I though all the leaves would die off...

Sounds like evidence to leave them intact during dormancy.

I never clip flytrap traps in the winter, unless theres a bug in it, to keep mold from growing. and yes, they still clsoe after winter
wink.gif
I also did an expirement. I cut a leaf, but without part of the rhizome, and another with a bit of the rhizome. AFTER i cut them, i tried to trigger them. they both closed!
wow.gif
possibly proves that they dont get the info to close from the "brain"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ April 08 2004,2:08)]I never clip flytrap traps in the winter, unless theres a bug in it, to keep mold from growing. and yes, they still clsoe after winter
wink.gif
I also did an expirement. I cut a leaf, but without part of the rhizome, and another with a bit of the rhizome. AFTER i cut them, i tried to trigger them. they both closed!
wow.gif
possibly proves that they dont get the info to close from the "brain"
Vfts dont have "Brains"
laugh.gif

Nor do they have a central nervous system - so its probably liklely to close if you cut off just the trap from the leaf blade !

(Im not trying it out though !
biggrin.gif
)

Back