What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Dente' seeds

First, I realize that dente traps are a TC mutation and must be propagated vegtably to retain the trait, but I was wondering if anyone had let their's flower an set seed.
If so did it produce any dente from the seeds? This could go for any cultivar, has any one ever had a few seeds carry on the cultivar traits?

I'm not certain, but if its a recessive trait you may not see it again unless you cross it with another dente. That or it makes the plant sterile.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]First, I realize that dente traps are a TC mutation
This is not strictly true. Barry Meyers-Rice described 'Dentate Traps as "A wild collected [Dionaea muscipula {Soland. ex Ellis}] plant was selected because its marginal spines were noticeably mutated. Instead of being long and filiform (as is usual), the spines of [Dionaea ' Dentate Traps ' {B.Meyers-Rice}] are short and triangular."

The question of the stability of the expression of dentate cilia in seed offspring is an interesting one. I wonder if anyone has actually done the simple experiment. That is, self-pollinate a 'Dentate Traps' plant. Then grow the several hundred resulting seedlings for 3 years and count the proportion of adult plants that have dentate cilia.

In the ICPS Database, Leo Song described his development of 'Jaws' thusly: "I crossed [Dionaea 'Dentate Traps' {B.Meyers-Rice}], (...) with its marginal tentacles mutated into short teeth, with a plant we grow which is noteworthy for its consistently extra large, moderately red-colored traps. This plant was selected from the seedlings. The margins of the trap are dentate like the pollen parent. Like the seed parent, the traps are consistently large, with good coloration. The plant is vigorous and even though the traps do not have normal cilia, they do trap insects."

I plan on ,if my plants flower next year,to polinate `dentate traps' with "green dragon" and vice versa,as well as polinateing my two forms of typicals,and `clumping cv.' with either `dentate traps' or "green dragon" labeling wich seeds have wich seed parent and wich pollen parent,of course. This will be quite a science project! I`ll have to keep records of wich seedlings retain wich features. Perhaps I will even produce a new cultivar. The genetics of vfts should be looked into,imo,alot more. Of course if this were done realy scientifically you would have to do a lot of self polination as well to see if traits that don`t show up phenotypicaly are still in the plant genetically.
I have no idea how I will be able to house so many plants though,my guess will be I will have to build several outdoors bog gardens to house them.

Well , I have self pollinated my dente and will see what happens. I'll keep ya' posted

Hey pond boy , my vft green dragon and dente are flowering right now and I hope to make my cultivar b 4 you do
biggrin.gif

In theory, a normal VFT x a Dente VFT will produce offspring which are almost all normal VFT. If you're lucky, one maybe a Dente. Cross a Dente with a Dente, or self pollinate and again you will probably get mostly normal VFT, but perhaps a certain percentage will have the triangular teeth or shortened cilia.
Fine Tooth x Red is a cross between a sawtooth and some sort of reddish VFT. The resulting selected plant has teeth which are fairly triangular, like extended shark's teeth.

Back