What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

? for experienced growers

Hi all. Has anyone noticed any growth on their vft leaves resembling protruding veins? I have seen a vft "Feather" which has these traits heavily and consistently. One of my flytraps has two small "veins" on two different leaves. I'm wondering if this is a disease or a genetic trait, or may have been caused by some growing stress previously. Any help so I can understand is very appreciated. I first thought my leaves had a type of scale but it would'nt scrape off with my finger nail.

Can you post a Pic?

No. I wish I could. BobZ has a pic of "Feather" at his site that comes close, but that plant has those traits full-blown.

Thank you Wesley for responding. I need all the help I can get.

Hmm, I think it is an ordinary think. Mine are like that, just not to that extent. I guess that it would vary from plant to plant.

sorry poor spelling-error corrected below

Wesley do your veins stick out like ridges from your plants?

I tried looking at the plant at Bob's site but was unable to connect. With no photo I am unsure of the question. I have noted that early spring growth can produce many atypical features that later even out. Puckering or ridges in the petioles may also be a result of insect infestation, so look cosely at your plants with a good lens.

Thanks all. And Tamlin, please keep trying to view the picture, I need your eyes.
P.S. Aidan S. on the UK site might think the clone "Feather" was chemically induced. We are unsure, however.

That feathering on bobs plants is pretty cool!

Hmm, no, mine doesn't do quite like that.  Mine sorta spreads out, and is not to that extent. But that is really cool. LOL

feather.jpg

Very different looking.

I do know some other mutants that were chemically induced. "Trichterfalle" or the funnel trap VFT was introduced to some hormones to acquire the funnel traps......

If that is the way they are growing natualy Id say they look realy cool, But if that is some infestation or sickness I hope they are allright.. But COOLLLL

Jim

it looks like you have some spider eggs in one of your traps.

Thats one crazy looking plant, try cutting the veins on one of the leaves, see what happens, use a exacto knife or razor blade. tell me what happens

My plants show veins, so I would say its normal. Mine are and have been doing fine, and I never thought anything about the veins.

The feathering is kinda wild--I've never seen that before. Now, THAT would have worried me!
tounge.gif

Back