What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding vft

this was always my avatar

About 4 hours ago that avatar was 98% black. Now it looks normal.

Hmm, My avatar was always the poison bottle, mabe sime things wrong with your comp

It looks green & red poison now. Temporary, occasional things happen on the forum.

LOL Fruit Flys make The BEST FOOD!!!
1st, they are easy to grow and easy to start new cultures (im talkin THOUSANDS of flys)
2nd, they fall asleep easily in about 30-45 secs in the freezer. (put them in a zip lock bag and place them in for about 30-45 secs in the freezer)
3rd, They Make GREAT food to VFT. when they are aslepp, take a small spoon (i use a 1 mil dia. spoon) and scoop like 7-10 flys. then, pop them in the traps (or anything else u need to feed) and BAM
laugh.gif

for VFT, put 7-10 in the trap and make sure that when it closes, the flys cant get out.
tounge.gif

how long does it take for a trap to open after catching an insect

Approximately a week, give or take.

fruit fly cultures can smell though
rock.gif

<span id='ME'><center>Spectabilis73 </center></span>

I've been finding some nicely sized Capenter ants and have been having fun every day enticing one onto a sheet of paper to feed to my awaiting plants.  Man, something as simple as watching the trap snap shut never seems to get old!  
laugh.gif

I feed mine little helpless flies that got smashed by the evil demon horticulturist. I stick'em on a toothpick, put it in the trap, and when it closes I wiggle the toothpick to make it think the fly is alive, then I slide the toothpick out.

Oooh. That's pretty nasty.
smile.gif
I read that the more a vft eats, the less red it becomes. Is this true?

Horticulturalist, how long do u have do tickle your VFT in order for it to take non living food?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ April 15 2004,9:39)]I feed mine flys and pill bugs for the most part. Never feed your plant ladybugs they kill the traps,or earthworms they rot the trap and make a stinky mess!
my ft caught a ladybug today (could see it's outline when held up to the light, our house is over-run with em) I hope it dosen't hurt it
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ April 29 2004,3:06)]LOL Fruit Flys make The BEST FOOD!!!
1st, they are easy to grow and easy to start new cultures (im talkin THOUSANDS of flys)
2nd, they fall asleep easily in about 30-45 secs in the freezer. (put them in a zip lock bag and place them in for about 30-45 secs in the freezer)
3rd, They Make GREAT food to VFT. when they are aslepp, take a small spoon (i use a 1 mil dia. spoon) and scoop like 7-10 flys. then, pop them in the traps (or anything else u need to feed) and BAM  
laugh.gif

for VFT, put 7-10 in the trap and make sure that when it closes, the flys cant get out.  
tounge.gif
Please share with us, how do you grow fruit flys?

From what I have read, ladybugs are a bad source of food for VFT's. Aslo, folks like Snowy Falcon, Wicked Thistle, and Spec73 are experts on fruit flies.

Fruitflies are sold in culture kits...

Why are ladybugs a bad source of food? not true - feeding does not seem to affect the coloration od the traps. It generally has more to do with exposure to light.

The Green form tends to get much less red then the others with the same level of light - but does get a slight bit red - pink perhaps
smile.gif

umm lets c,
i grow them in a little plastic jar with holes ontop covered by thin paper, so that the flise can breath. then i put in culure media, which i buy online, and add some yeast in so that they will take care of any contamination. i then fill the culture vessel with excelsior, which gives the culture more surface area to increase breeding, then add 50-100 fruit flies
i have 2 cultures now
biggrin.gif

i feed my CP's once a month, switching cultures that i use to feed, so the other one can recover
biggrin.gif

also, if any one knows any home makeable culure media for fruit flies, i would like to know
biggrin.gif

PM me plz!!!
Thanks in advanced, Hellz

My dente ate something and started digesting it on 4/29/04 when i left it out side. the bug was about 1/4 of the size of the trap It still hasn't opened, the leaf is green, why won't it open.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pooplol @ May 08 2004,8:37)]My dente ate something and started digesting it on 4/29/04 when i left it out side. the bug was about 1/4 of the size of the trap  It still hasn't opened, the leaf is green, why won't it open.
Dont know but in my experiences I never seen a fly trap start to open in the daylight, it seems they always start to open at night. I had a recent trap stay closed for two weeks,when our nights started warming up it opened... Maybe its the weather??

Back