What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I replanted my vft.

Hey yall. I just got another little VFT (two in the same pot actually) from Lowes and after I got home I decided to replant it. I filled a 6 inch pot with sphagnum moss and then ploped the little plant in a hole after washing off most of the old soil with distilled water.

I knew perfectly well this wasn't a good idea (replanting by cleaning off all the old substrate from the bulb) but I sort of just forgot everything I knew for about an hour and replanted them.

I just sort of went into a weird trance and was like hmm that substrate looks so nasty with all the dead leaves and crap, better wash it all off...

How bad of an idea do yall think this was? I hope I dont stunt the growth too badly and that i correctly replanted them (you know its sort of difficult to plant them from bulbs with leaves because the leaves are all pointing downward makign the plant want to spring up out of its hole).

I covered the pot with a transparent water tray and set it on a windowsill next to a bunch of other house plants in our bathroom with a east facing window...

So, whats the verdict?

(also, I ran about a gallon of distilled water through all of it after replanting).

I wash the bulbs clean (gingerly of course) when I divide my VFTs in the spring and now they are doin just fine.

Ian,
Since it was a Lowes plant, repotting it was (in my opinion) the right thing to do.  Lowes and other stores tend to treat all their plants the same.  So the soil was likely full of minerals and possibly fertilizer from being watered with the other plants from a hose.  In some places, the water is naturally low in minerals, most places it isn't.  It's safest to start with fresh soil.  An east facing window is fine, just be careful the sun doesn't get the container too hot and cook your VFT.  You can gradually remove the cover once the VFT has recovered from the transplanting.  VFTs don't mind low humidity if they are adjusted to it slowly.

smile.gif

BCK

I agree you did the right thing and they will be fine.:)

Glad to hear that
smile.gif
. I'll keep yall posted on how it does .:cool:

hmmm... did u replant in pure spag peat or did u mix it with perlite or sand?
if u didnt mix the peat with anything else, it wont have enough drainage and might rot ur VFT.
But if u did mix it with a little sand( Silica sand, not anything else ) or perlite in a 50/50 ratio, (With perlite, u should go around 75% spag peat to 25% perlite), then ull be fine.
best wishes,
Hellz

I grow all my VFTs in 100% peat and they are all fine.

I didn't plant them in sphagnum peat. I planted them in long fiber sphagnum moss.

Back