What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long, thin petioles

My VFT recently started growing very long and thin petioles. The petioles develop very quickly and have large traps on them. Is this a cause of poor lighting? I think I may have a bad bulb (the color is 'off' on one of the bulbs). I'll try to post a pic as soon as I can.

nonsense, bad bulbs,
ur plants are just fine
my Royal Reds (Which i bought at franks
biggrin.gif
) are doing the same thing.
the petioles are long and narrow and the traps at the end are HUGE( in my eyes atleast  
wink.gif
)
they are about 1.5 inches long and are all red, except for the green band near the edges of the trap.
The Petioles are also red
Hellz

FRANKs?  your joking me.  How much did you buy it for?  Is the Franks in the US?

lol, i bought it for 3.99 with tax
biggrin.gif

and yes, franks nursery, They ( yes, Plural ) are in America
idk how they had them at the Franks near me, but they did
lol

Uh unless it is labelled as Royal Red.. it isn't Royal Red.

What you most likely got was Red Dragon.

hmmm.. ur prob right ill post a pic of it
it looks exactly likeThis

Sorry if I sounded kind of harsh.
I hope this will clarify a bit why this thread caught my attention.

A picture would be good. Problem with D. muscipula is that culture plays a huge role in the way a plant can look. Comparing a plant in your possesion to a picture on the web is at best just a guess. You can not know how the plant was grown in the picture. Temperature, light level, season, age of the plant, age of the traps pictured etc. The same goes for a plant recently purchased. You can not know how it was cared for. Any time someone points out a picture on a web and says this is what my plant looks like you can usually find additional pictures which contradict the identification. Most of the time I don't make that big a deal out of it since only a few VFT are formally described and named and the rest are just a huge hodgepodge of who knows exactly what. Royal Red however is one of the few. It was produced in Australia and is patented there. It may be reproduced by TC/vegetative propgation only. I am sure there are vft around that might look a bit similar but to just label a plant like this with the Royal Red name would be a disservice.
Tony

Might want to resize your photos.. helps us poor folks stuck on dialup.

Besides that looks like the new leaves have good color. I would say that it's just making normal Summer shaped leaves.

Good example here Hellz.. the petioles on the new leaves are long thin and nearly solid red while the traps are showing red with the green lip around the teeth. And this is a Green Dragon..

Tony

hmmmm... my VFT looks a little more like that than a royal red
its probably a green dragon
o well, i got pysched up 4 nuthin
ahahahhaahah
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Well $4 for a "green dragon" `aint bad anyhow! thats what you pay for a "typical" in most places.....

Back