What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering :)

Okay one of my bunches of _Dionaea_ ended up getting sunburned to #### and is starting to make a comeback. It is also producing a flower stalk (I noticed it while checking it out today, its still at the very base of the middle of the plant, not even a few milimeters tall but it is definatly a flower bud).

I'm figuring, what the heck, I'll let it flower. They flower in their natural habitat and do just fine. I am figuring the plants doing what it wants and am going to let it flower and maybe get some seeds which I'll try growing for fun (it's not that I simply want more _Dionaea_, I simply want to go through the experience of letting them flower and then growing the babys).

The plants not in the best of shape (all the traps that originally were on it have pretty much burnt off except for a few which are all deformed due to being sun burned, but they are still alive and turnign sorta redish with the green that they were, but there are a few little leaves coming out to replace all the traps that did fall off, I was figuring it was good as dead but its deciding to flower so I will let it).

Its rained for the past week and I let them out in it during all the rain. A few leaves got torn in the wind (there were some 50 mile per hour winds here in Texas during the storms), but everything seems fine enough that its decided to produce a flower stalk.

What do yall think
smile.gif
? lol.

I wonder if it is flowering out of survival, as Darcie suggested in a post, recently. How long have you had the plant? Did it go through dormancy or is it fresh out of tissue culture? You may not have the best specimen to enjoy the experience. It could be a set up for failure. The more leaves the better because there is more photosynthesis ocurring and more energy produced. Fewer leaves works against the plant. Good luck!

It's not in showmanship condition but its living and starting to get back into the beat of things. The one that is flowering is from Lowes.

I bought about 8 more today from Wal-mart (or one pot with 8 plants!). I transplanted them all into pure sphagnum moss instead of the peat they were in (when i went to water them, the peat was splashing all over and some of it got into the traps, setting off about 5 or 6 traps!).

Ian Davion, although what u said about lets nature take its course is a good way of doing things, letting a recovering plant flower may just take it over the edge, like jim said.
as for letting nature take its course, like u said
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm figuring, what the heck, I'll let it flower. They flower in their natural habitat and do just fine
this is because the plants in the wild are more robust and hardy, having tons of food, growing space, have the right amount of sun, temperature, humidity, and perfect dormancy.
they are natural, and to live in the wild, its survival of the fittest.
all in all, i would suggest clipping the flower stalk and lettin the plant recover for a while. its need energy like everything else thats alive
hope that helps,
Hellz

I am just going to observe what happens and see if it survives or not. Call it an experiment if you will.

Flowering shouldn't hurt your plant. I cut mine off but that's just my preference. Might slow the growth a bit but certainly shouldn't kill it.

Welcome to the forums, IanDavion.
biggrin.gif

Suzanne

I let one flower once and the plant grew slowly for the next year and then came back the second Spring.

Welcome to the forums, IanDavion!
smile.gif
wink.gif

Wish mine would flower, the traps are getting huge and I desperately need to decrease trap size or else the next prey it catches will be my dog...
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

(Besides, I WANT SEED!!!)
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

You might wanna look here and
here for help in VFT flowering and VFT care in general.
smile.gif

Good luck with flowering (your plant I mean...)
wink.gif

Jason

Back