What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus Flytraps on Flower Stalks.

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I thought I would share a photo of a new plant forming on a flower scape. I have been watching a couple of plants as they had been producing flowers for some time and producing some odd growth on the scapes. Well, today I found out what the one plant was up to.

CarnivorousFlowerTrap.jpg

I plan to cut the plantlet off in a week or so.

Weird, I heard that the formation of plantlets on Flowerstalks was because of the extreme change in the day and night temps.

smile.gif
always cool when they do this.

ya mine did this once what are you going to do with it

I am going to let it produce a few more leaves before cutting it off for planting.

Ya know what's freakier? Seeing Kyle6002 and Darcie, with the identical avatars posting consecutively!

false vivipary is always fun!

That's a cool pic of false vivipary...I've always seen that in burnt or severed flower stalks in doseras (like my bro's intermedia), but never in VFTs before. Congrats!
smile.gif

Multiplying without fertilisation? freaky...
biggrin.gif

Why don't you let it grow for a few years and see what it does? Probably the flower stalk will buckle under the weight of the baby VFT and the plantlet will come to rest on top of the mother plant. awwww - how cute. But there the problem of getting enough nutrition to support itself, so I think cutting it off would be the best solution, my bro's is only a little unhappy, having got to a fair size and needing much more nutrition than the baby plantlet it was b4...
biggrin.gif

Reminds me of some wiring I once knew.

Back