What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT roots  Never seen them

One part of a VFT I've never seen is its roots. There's no way I'm going to uproot my precious babies so I can take a squiz. Anyone got a pic of a bare-root VFT, so I know in advance what to expect when re-potting/division time comes along?

Loving your work,

Steve

As soon as I get one with roots you'll definately get some pics.
smile.gif

Actually there's not much to look at as far as the roots go. Usually somewhat thick black strands. Newer root growth tends to be whitish.

Actually, there should be a ton of pics of bare root vft's all over the web.

Here's one of them:
Bareroot VFT.jpg

Well I never! Nice one, Vert, thanks.

I've seen the roots of VFTs described as being of any of the basic types: fibrous, rhizome... even bulb (if my failing memory is correct) so I was a bit confused as to what to expect.

If you look along the right side of the roots you can see at least three different spots where new root growth is apparent.

Well, they're definately fibrous, but the actual body of the vft is the bulb/rhizome/corm.

*cough* err... apologies to anyone who may have found my earlier choice of thread title a little close to the bone...
biggrin.gif

Back