What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many insects does your vft catch on its own?

I've had my vft for a few weeks, and so far it's only caught 2 things by itself. I think they are both flies. And, both traps that it used to catch the flies in are both dying before they opened back up.  
sad.gif
How many insects do your vfts catch on their own?

3 or 4 in the traps lifetime. I think the traps on yours may have been older already and were only able to catch their one meal before the end of their lifespan. New growth should be coming from the center of the plant. If not, then start wondering!

I grow mine outdoors in the garden and I never have an open trap for more than a few hours or so.... My VFTs are extremely adept at what they do. I have never attampted to count, but I would guess that they each catch a couple hundred flies a season.

Cheers
Steve

Whoa. Holy @#$! That's a whole lot of flies. I have my vft on top of a pedestal so that no animals can eat it. Does it catch more things on the ground?

My plants are grown outdoors in an aquarium like mini G house. They don't really catch that mush on their own. But once in a while a plant gets a fly, beetle, spider, moth, or mosquito. I sometimes have to go fly hunting. However, I do get nice red open traps as a consequence.

Mine always have a few of the traps closed. I was feeding them manually for a while but they started to catch so many flies (they catch mostly flies :0, lots of them) that I've stopped because I wanted to leave a few of the traps open. And it seems that they tend to be more prone to rotting when I hand feed them rather than when they catch their own food (probably because I feed them spiders vs whatever it is they are catch [mostly flies
smile.gif
]).

Hmm. I might start letting it do its own dirty work. Just yesterday, a tiny trap from a new plant caught a gnat or small ant, so I figure the larger traps will be fine also.

Back