What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red dragon

Several years ago I received a plant labeled Red Dragon. This plant has consistently stayed a small plant and has produced small traps. I have about 30 divisions (clones) of this plant and every plant produces a scape that splits into a double. This is the only VFT clone that I have that does this consistently. The plant produces fertile seed when selfed and all of the seedlings are red like the parent. I have not yet had any seedlings that are large enough to flower, so I do not know whether the offspring retain this double scape.

Does anyone else notice this with their flower scapes?
VFTreddragon1780.jpg

The traps in the photo above are the spring growth and will turn dark red like those in the photo below later in the summer.
VFTreddragon008.jpg

Mine did this also.  If I am right about this scape word.  You mean the flower bud has two buds instead of one.  Well mine has two; they are both done flowering and I am waiting for the seed to ripen but one of them turned into a new plant with its roots being the mother.  Just a flower stalk down to the center for a root system. has anybody heard of this.  The plant also stopped producing traps which is making me wonder if the plant is going to die putting all of its strength into the new baby plant.  Is there any way to remove the baby plant without killing it.

Cool all the seedling are red like that? You should IMO register this as a cultivar,I would name it 'bob`s all red strain'
wink.gif

Back